connecting computer to TS-EC1079 Pro via the NAS' usb 3.0 port to usb c? Thunderbolt?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
goodelyfe
Know my way around

connecting computer to TS-EC1079 Pro via the NAS' usb 3.0 port to usb c? Thunderbolt?

Post by goodelyfe »

So, i would like to increase data transfer between my computer and the NAS. I really dont have a big budget for a 10GbE setup....so i got to thinking. Thunderbolt 3!

Now, I know my NAS does not have the 'thunderbolt 3' connector but it does have USB 3.0. My NUC has thunderbolt 3 over USB -c. Could i use a USB 3.0 to USB-c cable to make this work? Would i get the advantage of fast data transfer?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: connecting computer to TS-EC1079 Pro via the NAS' usb 3.0 port to usb c? Thunderbolt?

Post by dolbyman »

the thunderbolt service/driver/etc is not installed in your system, only QNAP devices with the thunderbolt option are supported
goodelyfe
Know my way around

Re: connecting computer to TS-EC1079 Pro via the NAS' usb 3.0 port to usb c? Thunderbolt?

Post by goodelyfe »

That I understand obviously, however is it possible to plug in a USB 3.0 cable into the nas to the computer?

Or are the USB ports for backup purposes only
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

goodelyfe wrote:however is it possible to plug in a USB 3.0 cable into the nas to the computer?
Huh?

The NAS has it's own host controller. So does your PC. So - which controls the connection? :S

Can you show me a picture of a cable that would physically connect the NAS to the PC this way?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

goodelyfe wrote:That I understand obviously, however is it possible to plug in a USB 3.0 cable into the nas to the computer?

Or are the USB ports for backup purposes only
As said by OneCD ... you can't just connect two computer by USB, so the same applies to NAS and computer interconnections.

The other way around .. you can just connect two harddrives with each other to copy the data :mrgreen:
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

OneCD wrote:Can you show me a picture of a cable that would physically connect the NAS to the PC this way?
I then remembered seeing a cable like this years ago. :oops:

Don't know what sort of speed you'd get, though. And I think it requires its own drivers to work.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well that cable has a chip inside that does the "magic" (basically a little network build)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Amazing what ideas are developed based on cables available....

All QNAP USB 3.0 ports are USB 3.0 A-Type ports - so only a USB Host for USB 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0 devices.

And USB 3.0 does _not_ have Thunderbolt 3.

Similar, neither QNAP nor any other USB 3.0 type A ports have Thunderbolt 3.
OneCD wrote:Can you show me a picture of a cable that would physically connect the NAS to the PC this way?
Of course ... there are USB-A <-> USB-C cables, but then, there are more difficulties: Some cables allow charging, or plain basic USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 only.

Look here ... USB (3.1) Type A <-> USB-C cables exist or are coming up ie. by Belkin -> http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU029/ or ROLINE USB 3.1 Cable, A-C, M/M, black, 0.5 m

And these are required to connect USB 3.1 to QNAP's latest TVS-x73 line, which is coming with a USB 3.1 (host) port for example. The fact that these two USB 3.1 ports (resp. the card) is limited to 10 Gb/s tell me there is no TB3, too.
OneCD wrote:I then remembered seeing a cable like this years ago.
These don't make a P2P USB connection .... these are data transfer cables.

PS. I had to buy a USB-A<->USB-A cable (no electronics ... impossible by the USB standards, agree @OneCD?) not so long ago to master these Chinese media players. And these are available from the shelf, too. Not sure you need a picture to proof ... ROLINE USB 2.0 Cable, A - A, M/M, 0.8 m
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

schumaku wrote:PS. I had to buy a USB-A<->USB-A cable (no electronics ... impossible by the USB standards, agree @OneCD?) not so long ago to master these Chinese media players. And these are available from the shelf, too. Not sure you need a picture to proof ... ROLINE USB 2.0 Cable, A - A, M/M, 0.8 m
Well, in the back of my mind, I did think of the various dodgy USB cables I've seen on eBay from some parts of the world, but (to my knowledge) there is no way they could work with standard USB interfaces, so I considered them a non-issue. :wink:

However, I'm not a USB expert. Only ever learned the basics of USB data and power TX/RX (mostly where it differed from RS-232).

goodelyfe
Know my way around

Post by goodelyfe »

damnit!!! thanks you all for the dialogue and discussion!!!!

i had no idea, i knew my NAS didnt have thunderbolt, but i figured it may still work. Glad i didnt spend/waste the money!!!!

i have a workstation (intel skull canyon) and wanted to try faster transfer speeds to the NAS, but im guessing the USB on our NAS is for backup purposes only

grrrrrr!!!

thank you all!
goodelyfe
Know my way around

Post by goodelyfe »

OneCD wrote:
goodelyfe wrote:however is it possible to plug in a USB 3.0 cable into the nas to the computer?
Huh?

The NAS has it's own host controller. So does your PC. So - which controls the connection? :S

Can you show me a picture of a cable that would physically connect the NAS to the PC this way?
to the part i bolded: i guess i didnt think about it like that!
goodelyfe
Know my way around

Post by goodelyfe »

BTW, i wasnt expecting thunderbolt speeds.... i just thought it may could work, obviously not as fast as thunderbolt..... but faster than my current transfer rate.

d*mnit!! lol guess i gotta spend more for faster transfer speeds to the server blah blah blah!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”