CyberPower BR850ELCD immediate shutdown issue

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
panto
Know my way around

CyberPower BR850ELCD immediate shutdown issue

Post by panto »

I have the above model of UPS attached to my NAS and set in QTS to auto protect after 5 minutes. I understand this is in the absence of a low battery warning and elapsed time after the "power event". However I have the issue that the NAS is immediately shutting down on a power event. This is despite the UPS indicating it has 14 minutes of supply left at the current load shortly before the event. It is as if the NAS reacts incorrectly to the power event notification and acts as if it is the battery low event.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? This UPS brand and similar models (differing capacities) are listed on the compatibility list for the device.

NAS: TVS-882
FW: 4.2.2 (02-11-2016)
TS-439 Pro running Debian Stretch, TVS-882 running QTS.
OneCD
Guru

Re: CyberPower BR850ELCD immediate shutdown issue

Post by OneCD »

panto wrote:I have the above model of UPS attached to my NAS and set in QTS to auto protect after 5 minutes. I understand this is in the absence of a low battery warning and elapsed time after the "power event". However I have the issue that the NAS is immediately shutting down on a power event. This is despite the UPS indicating it has 14 minutes of supply left at the current load shortly before the event. It is as if the NAS reacts incorrectly to the power event notification and acts as if it is the battery low event.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? This UPS brand and similar models (differing capacities) are listed on the compatibility list for the device.

NAS: TVS-882
FW: 4.2.2 (02-11-2016)
Something to consider would be the state of the UPS batteries. If the batteries are worn-out, the 'estimated protection time' may be misleading.

Does that UPS perform a periodic self-test? Maybe you could separate out the UPS, load it up with a similar sized inductive-load as your NAS (and whatever else you've plugged into it) and stopwatch it during a mains-fail. See how long until it indicates BATTERY-LOW and eventually expires. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
panto
Know my way around

Post by panto »

Battery is fine as it is only a couple of months old. My concern is that it is instant. The second the power goes the machine shuts off. I tried a test with the comms cable (USB) removed. Nothing tripped and everything ran off of the battery. It would seem there is a fundamental issue between the NAS and the UPS. From the behaviour observed an alarm is triggered when the comms cable is connected and everything goes off. This leaves me with an issue of not be able to have a graceful shutdown.

After running a couple of tests against both QTS 4.2.2 NAS units I can confirm that when the comms cable is connected to either NAS box the power off event causes something to happen which results in the UPS shutting off output power - the display reads 0 V. There is no drain on the battery. No comms cable and everything runs ok. This implies QTS cannot correctly handle the device and yet CyberPower BR series units are on the compatibility list!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I think you should get QNAP involved. Create a support ticket, and see if they respond.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
panto
Know my way around

Post by panto »

I have put in the call to QNAP who, at present, seem to be hanging off the fact the exact model is not on the compatibility list despite the models either side of it in the line-up being there. The difference being battery capacity. No logs have been requested. No investigative attempts have been made. I put it to them that if I bought one of the other models on the list and experience the exact same issue - which I believe I will - then would they refund the cost of the device that wasn't compatible after all? I await any response, especially one of use. To be honest, for a device costing several thousand dollars, the support is pretty **.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I gave up contacting QNAP long ago as I found their support to be terrible. That's why I'm on this forum. :wink:

panto
Know my way around

Post by panto »

Just to complete the topic. I bought another "supported" device off of the list - just a bigger model of the same unit(!) - and the exact same thing happened. QNAP support was utterly ** and they essentially blamed the UPS (despite a supported and a second model of the same brand both failing yet working on a desktop) and wanted nothing more to do with it. Their excuse was that they could not replicate the issue. Guess what? With the amount of configuration possible on the device that is likely to be an outcome. I do not believe they at any point replicated my master-slave UPS setup which may well have been the issue. Anyhow, I place a ticket with CyberPower whose support was the spectral opposite of QNAP's. A few weeks later a firmware update was released that made no mention of UPS issues but which when applied to both NAS units fixed the issue. This is despite the firmware being updated at one point whilst the issue existed - thereby seemingly removing the possibility that an update cleared a bad state. I am of the belief that an issue with the way the UPS monitoring was setup had been located and rectified. However I also do not trust that this issue will not resurface given their past form.
Great units, poor software QA, ** support. That should be their motto.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”