Connecting QNAP to imac

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
maryreason
First post

Connecting QNAP to imac

Post by maryreason »

Hi all
I have a QNAP which my husband has used on a PC and we now want to connect it to an imac but we're having a bit of trouble. The QNAP is TS 219 P+ and the imac is a few years old with an os of 10.6.8. Previously with his PC he thinks he got the QNAP connected via the modem/ router and found out its IP that way. (or something).

I've looked online and tried connecting in one of the 3 ways it tells me on the QNAP website... we don't have a cloud sticker so can't do that, the MAC os is too old for the pro utility installation, and local installation didn't work, although given that I don't want to wipe everything off the QNAP I'm not sure that any of these are the right options.

can anyone give me any advice? It's never been connected to the imac before. I tried go > connect to server, using a couple of IP addresses he had written down previously, but that didn't work either.

thanks. I need to get rid of some stuff on here so I can watch dr who!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Connecting QNAP to imac

Post by dolbyman »

Macuser007
Starting out

Re: Connecting QNAP to imac

Post by Macuser007 »

First of all, you don't need any QNAP tools or utilities to install on your Mac in order to make the connection from your iMac to QNAP NAS via local network. Your QNAP server support AFP and SMB network protocol that Mac OS can connect to it by either one without problem. Mac OS X 10.6.8 should be able to connect to it by opening a new finder window, on the left side of the window should have a column show with 'Shared', you should able to see the QNAP NAS under this section. Just select it and type the user account name and password to connect it.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”