TVS-682 upgraded

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Cbrad01
Know my way around

TVS-682 upgraded

Post by Cbrad01 »

About a week ago I upgraded the CPU from the stock i3 to a i7-6700 3.4 Ghz and added 32 gun of Ram.
Overall everything has been fine, did have a problem where ram module wasn't seated good, but otherwise good.
Has been running plex with 3 to 4 streams and 4 windows vms and 1 Linux and preforming well.
Temp on the CPU has been a bit high, but not enough of a concern. I am running the stock passive cooler and thinking I will replace it with active as the main board has the needed plug.
The hard drive section seems to run the hottest and that's where the fan kicks off the most.
Hardware reports CPU fine, next upgrade is to roamed her to 64 gb to give my vms a bit more room.
lxayvong
First post

Re: TVS-682 upgraded

Post by lxayvong »

nice upgrade and setup! I have a i7-6700k sitting next to me I'm planning to throw in my 682 as well. Did you need to upgrade the PSU as well to a 450 watt (e.g. Corsair SF450)?

Thanks
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

I am using the stock power supply. I did not use the K model CPU as I was a bit worried about cooling and such.
daniel999
First post

Post by daniel999 »

What fans are you using
Bobeid
Starting out

Post by Bobeid »

hello, quick question: I have the TVS-682 model with the G4440 processor. IS it possible to upgrade the processor? and with what processor?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Bobeid wrote:hello, quick question: I have the TVS-682 model with the G4440 processor. IS it possible to upgrade the processor? and with what processor?
There are probably many threads answering your question but you could start in this one.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

You should be able to upgrade, just make sure you use a cpu that is in the exaxt same family line as the one installed.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”