(SOLVED) Does QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
bocaspbx
New here

(SOLVED) Does QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation?

Post by bocaspbx »

Hello,

Can anyone provide guidance to solve this issue?

My setup:
TS-453A
Firmware: 4.3.3 beta
Aeotec by Aeon Labs USB stick
Home Assistant Docker installed via Container station

Connected USB stick on the rear top USB port.
[~] # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1005:b155 Apacer Technology, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

"ls /dev/tty*" does not show it.

I see similar setups working on Synology without issues.

Does anyone have a similar working setup?
Last edited by bocaspbx on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bocaspbx
New here

Re: Does QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation?

Post by bocaspbx »

For those of you trying to find a similar solution, I was able to get a full automation solution on my NAS working with openHAB.

It was a lot easier than expected.
1-SSH into your NAS
2-Install Zwave drive, command: "insmod /usr/local/modules/cdc-acm.ko” (you must have version 4.3 beta installed)
3-Insert USB wave stick to back port of NAS
4-Query usb bus, command: "lsusb"
5-You should see "Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc.” listed.
6-Search for corresponding serial for Zwave, command: “ls /dev/tty*”
7-You should see “ttyACM0” listed
8-Write down the full directory path, “/dev/ttyACM0” as you will need this information for openHAB zwave binding configuration.
9-Download and manually install the openHAB QPKG (newly release 2.0 version) package for QNAP.
10-Using openHAB GUI, install and configure the zwave binding. Using the GUI again, enter "/dev/ttyACM0" into the serial port box.
That’s it! All my zwave devices can now be manage via openHAB.
Last edited by bocaspbx on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sar6e
Starting out

Re: (SOLVED) Does QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation?

Post by Sar6e »

I was so pleased to find your post. Thanks for posting! I'm also trying to get an Aeon Labs Z-Stick Series 2 running on my TS-251A. I am currently running 4.2.4 firmware so it will be interesting to see if I have any success.

I have installed OpenHAB 2 which I am liking for everything I could control by network without the Z-Wave devices.

The question I have is about the durability of the module installation. I know in the past things I have installed get blown away by a firmware update. Will I have to reinstall the module after each restart? Sorry if these questions seem inane. I'm pretty much a monkey see, monkey do guy where it comes to Linux generally and the firmware updates/flash memory part of the QNAPs is a complete mystery.

Appreciate any additional light you can shed.
bocaspbx
New here

Post by bocaspbx »

Hello,

I am also new to Linux, QNAP and Automation.

As a quick update, I did manage to get Home Assistant docker image to also access the zwave Aeon Labs Z-Stick. First, I had to SSH into the NAS command line and manually load the docker image with the necessary options. This should have worked on the GUI, but it didn’t for me.

As an example, here is the command I ran from the NAS command line and confirmed to work.
docker run -d -p 8123:8123 --name home-assistant01 --restart=always --net=host --privileged -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Container/hass/hass01/:/config --device /dev/ttyACM0 homeassistant/home-assistant

After running the above command, I went back to Container station GUI to manage the image as normal. Yes, it does survive NAS reboots.

Regarding reboots, After each NAS reboot the serial port designation would change from ttyACM0 to ttyACM1. You can see this by running "ls /dev/tty*” from the docker image command line.

I also notice this behavior when manually unplugging/reinserting and then reboot the docker image via Container station GUI. It is annoying, but not a real breaker. As a quick workaround, I simply unplug/reinserting the USB device and again reboot docker image from Container station GUI. That toggles it back.

I am currently testing/learning both automation solutions Home Assistant and OpenHAB using their official docker images without issues.

Hope this helps.
begbie
First post

Post by begbie »

Thank you so much....
FYI - Works with QTS 4.3.3 and ZME UZB1 Stick on open HAB 2.0.0.2
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

This looks very promising, thanks for the write up - I have bought the stick and will try it out.

Just to understand, the openhab qpkg and the docker image are both mentioned here, which is the preferred solution in your opinion and why?
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
peelos
Been there, done that

Re: Does QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation?

Post by peelos »

bocaspbx wrote:For those of you trying to find a similar solution, I was able to get a full automation solution on my NAS working with openHAB.

It was a lot easier than expected.
1-SSH into your NAS
2-Install Zwave drive, command: "insmod /usr/local/modules/cdc-acm.ko” (you must have version 4.3 beta installed)
3-Insert USB wave stick to back port of NAS
4-Query usb bus, command: "lsusb"
5-You should see "Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc.” listed.
6-Search for corresponding serial for Zwave, command: “ls /dev/tty*”
7-You should see “ttyACM0” listed
8-Write down the full directory path, “/dev/ttyACM0” as you will need this information for openHAB zwave binding configuration.
9-Download and manually install the openHAB QPKG (newly release 2.0 version) package for QNAP.
10-Using openHAB GUI, install and configure the zwave binding. Using the GUI again, enter "/dev/ttyACM0" into the serial port box.
That’s it! All my zwave devices can now be manage via openHAB.
this worked well for me, many thanks!!

One minor typo "slusb" in original post should be "lsusb" - maybe changing that saves someone (like me) some time!
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
bocaspbx
New here

Post by bocaspbx »

updated. Thank you.
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

any ideas how to force the usb to use /dev/ttyACM0 rather than change the config in OpenHab every time the USB stick is removed?

I presume path /dev/ttyACM0 also changes to /dev/ttyACM1 etc with a reboot
ve6gel@shaw.ca
First post

Post by ve6gel@shaw.ca »

I'm running 4.3.3.0174 on a 469L. openHAB 2 installs fine, but the acm driver for the Aeon Z-stick doesn't seem to be available on the machine. Has anyone been able to make this work (or find the kernel module)?
peelos
Been there, done that

Re: RE: Re: (SOLVED) Does QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation?

Post by peelos »

ve6gel@shaw.ca wrote:I'm running 4.3.3.0174 on a 469L. openHAB 2 installs fine, but the acm driver for the Aeon Z-stick doesn't seem to be available on the machine. Has anyone been able to make this work (or find the kernel module)?
Did you follow the instructions above, specifically: insmod /usr/local/modules/cdc-acm.ko

?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
great-dane
New here

QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation

Post by great-dane »

I have this working great with my 453 and Openhab2 using a Aeontec G5 zwave stick and the description in this thread. Thanks a lot!

Now, how to deal with NAS restart/reboot?

In my setup Openhab2 comes up nicely on its own after restart/reboot of the NAS, but I then every time need to SSH and do the command tricks - and stop+restart the openhab service to get it to "see" Zwave again...

How to fix - or at least automate?
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

I noticed that following a firmware upgrade, you need to run "insmod /usr/local/modules/cdc-acm.ko" again, and follow the rest of the steps above.

Shame, this must be possible to fix this with a script somehow.
mjaqb
New here

Post by mjaqb »

I have problem because after steps 1-9 in OpenHAB->Settings->Bindings there is empty page (?). Any suggestions?
peelos
Been there, done that

Re: QNAP Support USB sticks for ZWAVE Automation

Post by peelos »

great-dane wrote:I have this working great with my 453 and Openhab2 using a Aeontec G5 zwave stick and the description in this thread. Thanks a lot!

Now, how to deal with NAS restart/reboot?

In my setup Openhab2 comes up nicely on its own after restart/reboot of the NAS, but I then every time need to SSH and do the command tricks - and stop+restart the openhab service to get it to "see" Zwave again...

How to fix - or at least automate?
Looks like this viewtopic.php?t=134665 thread could potentially lead us to a solution but have yet to work out the exact script needed for my 1282 ..

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”