TS-228 high temperatures !!! RAID1, 2x4Gb WD red (wd40efrx)

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
kristian_kostov
Starting out

TS-228 high temperatures !!! RAID1, 2x4Gb WD red (wd40efrx)

Post by kristian_kostov »

Hello guys,
I am a bit puzzled because drives (2 x wd40efrx) are all the time under relatively high temperatures - 44-50C.
On high load they go to 53C. Environment temperature is about 21-22C (and will go up during the summer), no sunlight to the NAS.
Normally the NAS is not under big load most of the time (in fact rarely used). The fan seems to work normally most of the time at 1140rpm (smart fan is enabled, it is set to auto). Firmware is the latest 4.3.2.
Is that normal ?
Isn't that problem for the drives ?
Do i need to consider change of the NAS with higher model only for that reason (actually this device is OK for my needs, but i am worried about hdd mostly) ?
It seems that this device is not properly designed with so small fan (6cm i think) which is not even directed to HDDs like al other devices ...
Am i right, or just shouldn't worry about that ?
Is there any fix, other than increasing manually fan speed (and loud db level) ?
TS-451D2, RAID 5 (3x4TB WD RED wd40efrx)
kristian_kostov
Starting out

Re: TS-228 high temperatures !!! RAID1, 2x4Gb WD red (wd40efrx)

Many qustions, no answers ... - for me it is clear - bad hardware design of this model.
Will need to go to some upper model (and brand maybe).
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kristian_kostov wrote:I am a bit puzzled because drives (2 x wd40efrx) are all the time under relatively high temperatures - 44-50C.
On high load they go to 53C. Environment temperature is about 21-22C (and will go up during the summer), no sunlight to the NAS.
Yes it sounds surprisingly warm but I guess that's the price for the very compact design.

You can set temperature alarms on the disks to be notified if they reach critical levels. Also the NAS will shut off automatically if it gets really, really hot.
Is that normal ?
I have no idea as I haven't used that model but it doesn't sound alarming yet.
Isn't that problem for the drives ?
No. It's well within the WD Red operating specifications (0-65 C).
Am i right, or just shouldn't worry about that ?
I wouldn't worry about it. In my opinion people generally worry about the wrong things. Like keeping the equipment extremely cool or thinking that powering the NAS off frequently will increase it's life.

What most people should really worry about is making sure they have proper backups of their important data and not exposing their equipment on the internet so much as is often done. Those are the real risks I think.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kristian_kostov
Starting out

Thank you very much P3R for your honest answers ! You are absolutely right for everything - the compactness and low noise levels are at the price of bit high temps. In fact i am using this model HDD in other NAS's and PCs and they are very reliable and never go over 37-38C and that is the reason i was woried about that device. To be honest - I am very sirious about backuping (almost maniac :))) - i keep 4 backups of my precious data and update periodically them in strange my own logic on different places and devices...
Also i have to tell that TS-288 is working fine with 1 single drive - the temps are much lower - under 40C
Anyway QANP is great brand and QTS is great too !
Robin_NorCal
First post

Post by Robin_NorCal »

I note temps in the high 40's with this model, highest I saw once with two drives in were 52C. I have removed the drive cover - keeps the drives cooler.
My last NAS hardly went into the low 40's, max was around 45's.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”