Bought new TVS-882 & need recommendations

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
rolldog
Getting the hang of things

Bought new TVS-882 & need recommendations

Post by rolldog »

Ok, just out of curiosity, I just ordered the TVS-882 with the i5 CPU, 16GB memory, and a 450 PSU. I want to upgrade the memory, the CPU, and get some opinion on what kind of PCIe card I should get. (I've never upgraded any of my components in a QNAP before). From what I've read, DDR4 2133 memory is what's recommended. Does any brand memory run best, or with less problems, than other brands of memory? I'd like to find out what kind of memory I should be looking at.

Also, how much of a performance increase can one expect to see going from an i5 to an i7 CPU? Any specific model of CPU I should be looking for?

Regarding the hard drives, I was planning to use WD Reds, Samsung 850 SSDs, but I need to find a couple of M.2 SATA SSDs, since I don't think it'll run PCIe. These drives I was hoping to cache the WD drives.

Lastly, wil only 2 PCIe slots open, would this NAS benefit from an upgraded GPU, upgraded network card, or a PCIe SSD, assuming it supports it.

Sorry if my questions seem elementary, but I don't have as much experience with a NAS as I do with PCs. All I know is I currently have a TS-451+, and I can't use it for anything except storage. I can stream video, use it as a Plex Server, etc, but it's so slow, it's not even worth my time. I want to make sure this new NAS will be much more efficient, so if I could get a few words of advice on upgrades to maximize the performance, I would be eternally greatful
Azura
Starting out

Re: Bought new TVS-882 & need recommendations

Post by Azura »

Hi,

I just ordered like you a tvs-x82.

The Ram I have ordered is HyperX Fury (2x, 16Go, DDR4-2133, DIMM 288). It seems that it is what the qnap forumers have.
The CPU is an Intel Core i7 6700K BOX (LGA 1151, 4GHz, unlocked) + the rad Noctua NH-L12 (9.30cm)
The HDD, WD Reds like you and SSD Crucial MX300 (525Go, 2.5")

I don't use M2 Sata or Pcie now.

Best regards
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

On mine up upgraded the CPU to an i7 without issues, just match the thermal load as close as you can.
I didn't order the fastest i7 because the wattage was so hi I worried about cooling.
Pushed ram to the max to support VMs systems.
All runs good
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@rolldog,

In my opinion you're approaching this the wrong way as does so many newcomers here. You're determined to immediately upgrade a brand new NAS yet you don't seem to understand why and what good it will do.

If money is an unlimited resource to you then carry on with what you're doing now but if you don't have endless funds it would be much smarter to think the upgrade through and only update the bottlenecks. It's the bottlenecks that will limit your performance and upgrading CPU, RAM or caching is a waste of money and beautiful technology if that doesn't address the bottlenecks in you application.

If you want any qualified advice on what to get you need to answer some questions:
1. What's the intended usage? In another thread you only mention media usage. What more exactly is that? Streaming or editing video? Any other demanding applications?
2. What's the network the NAS will be used in? Gigabit? 10 gigabit?
3. What and how many clients will be used and how do they connect?

Based on the above answers someone experienced will easily tell you where the bottlenecks are likely to be. Fix those first. Then use the equipment and analyze what have now become your bottlenecks and upgrade those if necessary. That's the intelligent approach to upgrading.

Many have learned from their Windows systems that they need to maximize RAM and use SSDs. But a NAS doesn't use Windows so that doesn't necessarily apply here. The most common usage in homes is video streaming. For that you need good networking and CPU-resources if you need to transcode in the NAS. Maximizing RAM and SSD are usually a waste in that application and SSD-caching may actually slow system performance down.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”