Thinking about 873 and need advice

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
bapw@comcast.net
Getting the hang of things

Thinking about 873 and need advice

Post by bapw@comcast.net »

I am thinking about buying an 873 and need some advice. I have files spread out over 4 different computers and about 5 different external hard drives. I would take most of the files and place them on the 873. These consist of video files from mpegs, to mp4 to ts. Also flac music files. I would edit the files from the nas. They range in size from 500 mgs to 20 gbs. I want to be able to use the nas with at least 3 different computers, my android phone, Nvdia Shield 2017 over wireless, cat6 and the usb direct access depending on which machine I am using at the time. I also would have the 873 used as a plex server. I would have it eventually take over from the Nvidia Shield Pro 2017 doing dvr from plex. Would this machine work well for what I have described. Would ssd cache be a benefit? Also would wd 3 or 4 tb reds be better or HGST with the 7200. If I had at least 4 HGST would there be a great noise issue. I have read that they can be very noisy. 3 of the computers are i7 3 to 1 years old. I thought about the 882 but I like the idea of the direct access and USB 3.1. I would get USB 3.1 for my desktop if the card will work in it. Thank you for any advice.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Thinking about 873 and need advice

Post by Trexx »

I have the 673 (see config in my signature) and am running pretty much the majority of what you are doing.

Use it for Media storage (Video, Itune, Photo's, etc.), Plex Server w/DVR, Nvidia Shield TV video source (cabled, not Wireless) for Plex/Kodi playback, and over Internet for Plex playback to iPad/Roku/etc..

I run HGST drives (have for about 5 years with QNAPs) and works great. Also have m.2's for caching (make sure have good ventilation around QNAP as m.2's get hot). I use USB 3.1 for external backup only (direct access is USB 3.0, but ultimately is limited to 1Gb speed basically a USB to Ethernet bridge so USB 3.1 won't help).

There is some noise, but not too terrible from the Hitachi. Some of that you can dampen by using a rubber/phone pad underneath the NAS too if it bugs you too much.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”