HGST 4tb 128 cache and Qnap 873

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
bapw@comcast.net
Getting the hang of things

HGST 4tb 128 cache and Qnap 873

Post by bapw@comcast.net »

Has anyone used these disk with the 873. It is not on the compatible list and when I emailed qnap to ask them they said it has not been tested with them yet. I find many disks for sale with the system that are not on the compatible list from places such as SimplyNAs so not sure what to get. They said that simplynas does work closely with them.
P3R
Guru

Re: HGST 4tb 128 cache and Qnap 873

Post by P3R »

bapw@comcast.net wrote:I find many disks for sale with the system that are not on the compatible list from places such as SimplyNAs so not sure what to get.
If SimplyNAS or anyone else sells a combination of products without it being approved by the respective manufacturer, then I guess you need to trust the reseller to have done the necessary compatibility testing. If you don't trust them, then buy a NAS without disks or buy somewhere else.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”