What drives should I use in my TS 412?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
morrosis
Starting out

What drives should I use in my TS 412?

Post by morrosis »

I hit an issue last night with my Raid that both topics have been closed, one I can understand for multi-post but the other, simply closing due to using a certain type of hard drive that is listed as compatible on the offical page threw me. So if that is the case, I guess I need to replace my hard drive before I do it this time I need to know, what drives should I be using then if the compatibility list doesn't seem to be the one to follow.

What do I need, 4 x 4tb drives

Thoughts on
Western Digital WD Red 4TB WD40EFRX?

2017-06-27 07_32_22-Compatibility List - QNAP.png
Another thing, if these drives are not to be used, why then are they listed as approved?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Guru

Re: What drives should I use in my TS 412?

Post by Don »

You would have to ask QNAP why they are on the list.

WD REDS and Hitachi HGST drives are recommended. Anything on the list except the DM drives are ok.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Any NAS or enterprise rated drive should be OK (WD RED are fine)

Just make sure that the overall Volume size is not larger than 16TB (legacy volumes do not support that)

The 412 is very old so probably QNAP does not update lists anymore for EOL devices (So they left incompatible DM drives on it)
morrosis
Starting out

Post by morrosis »

Don wrote:You would have to ask QNAP why they are on the list.

WD REDS and Hitachi HGST drives are recommended. Anything on the list except the DM drives is ok.
OK thanks, Don, if the WD reds are fine I will grab two WD40EFRX, and replace the current Seagate ones.
dolbyman wrote:Any NAS or enterprise rated drive should be OK (WD RED are fine)

Just make sure that the overall Volume size is not larger than 16TB (legacy volumes do not support that)

The 412 is very old so probably QNAP does not update lists anymore for EOL devices (So they left incompatible DM drives on it)
Yeah, I will get two new wd red WD40EFRX which are on the list, stick them in raid 1, like my current setup and when I can get another two and change to a raid 5 giving me 12tb of space which is heaps for me.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”