Large File Copy Killed TS-231

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
cfowler
New here

Large File Copy Killed TS-231

Post by cfowler »

Hey all, not sure where to post this, so please forgive and help direct? I have a Q-NAP TS-231, 2 bay NAS, populated with 2 x Seagate ST4000VN000 drives. Recently I setup a copy operation from my PC to the TS-231. There were about 8 files, that totaled about 69GB. Since the copy operation estimated 1 1/2 hrs, I left the copy running before I went to work. When I came home, the copy operation had failed and the HDD lights on the TS-231 were flashing 1 / .5 seconds, which, according to QNap means either a drive sync or format operation is in progress. The drives are 4TB in size and contained about 2 TB worth of data. Since I canceled the operation, I thought I'd be able to access the NAS to see what's going on. No dice. So, I power down the NAS, power up and still can't access the infernal thing. The HDD lights begin the same pattern, syncing or formatting. I let it run in this fashion for 25 hrs, yes I clocked it. Still no dice. I then proceeded to power down the NAS, remove the drives, power up the NAS and try to access it via the GUI, only asks about drive configuration, and SSH, which won't connect. QFinder finally found the device but would only show firmware, serial, etc... couldn't actually connect to the NAS. I then tried updating the firmware via QFinder, to the same version already on there. This was successful, however, upon reboot of the NAS, I got the same, drive configuration wizard, nothing more. I then tried reinserting the drives and booting the NAS. I was able to login to the GUI, although it appeared passwords were reset to default, but couldn't actually do anything once the HDD lights began flashing 1 / .5 secs so I have no idea whether the NAS is syncing or formatting my drives. I emailed support and I'll simply say their first response was sub-par, so I'm reaching out to see if anyone's got a better idea other than what I face now, which is to let the thing go longer than 25 hrs to see if it finally finishes syncing or formatting. Thanks,
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Large File Copy Killed TS-231

Post by dolbyman »

did you try starting the nas with only one of the drives ? (in raid1 it should not matter what drive)
cfowler
New here

Post by cfowler »

dolbyman wrote:did you try starting the nas with only one of the drives ? (in raid1 it should not matter what drive)
Thanks for the advice, yes I tried that, HDD 1 status light has been flashing green every .5 secs for about 24 hrs now. Still cannot access the device via HTTP/S or SSH, but the device is responding to ICMP requests.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try it with HDD0 (or 2 whatever counting format you use) maybe HDD1 is the culprit
cfowler
New here

Post by cfowler »

Yeah, I thought of that too, except, if HDD0 has been formatted, I would rather salvage the data from HDD1 if I can. I'm going to mount HDD1 onto another PC to see if I can salvage any data from it. QNap support has been very poor to deal with and don't seem to have very much knowledge as to how their appliances function so it looks like I"m on my own here. Appreciate the suggestions!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why did you format the other drive ?

getting back the data is tricky...its a linus fs under lvm

that's why you should do external backups
cfowler
New here

Post by cfowler »

I didn't format the other drive. Perhaps the OP wasn't clear on what I experienced. LOL, the purpose of this NAS is for backups, I don't know of too many folks on a personal level who make backups of backups of backups, could get quite expensive. I'll try my route first and then elsewhere if I experience difficulty. Thanks again.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”