How is compatibility list set up?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
dipo76
Starting out

How is compatibility list set up?

Post by dipo76 »

Hi,

can anyone tell me how devices (especially printers) get on the compatibility list for ts-109/209? Does QNAP itself test several printers with the ts or do users report to QNAP that their xy printer works fine with the ts?

Or, put differently: does a printer which is not on the compatibility list not work for sure with ts or does it mean that nobody has tested this particular printer with ts yet and mayby it works fine?

I would like to know whether my Canon Pixma iP4000 would work with ts-109's print server,although it is not on the compatibility list (as it is an older model).

Thanx.
falconnl
Starting out

Post by falconnl »

The Ip4000 works great with the TS-109 Pro. I have the printer myself and everybody on the network can print on it. It prints fast and reliable..
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Re: How is compatibility list set up?

Post by QNAPRei »

dipo76 wrote:Hi,

can anyone tell me how devices (especially printers) get on the compatibility list for ts-109/209? Does QNAP itself test several printers with the ts or do users report to QNAP that their xy printer works fine with the ts?

Or, put differently: does a printer which is not on the compatibility list not work for sure with ts or does it mean that nobody has tested this particular printer with ts yet and mayby it works fine?

I would like to know whether my Canon Pixma iP4000 would work with ts-109's print server,although it is not on the compatibility list (as it is an older model).

Thanx.
We borrowed/ bought the devices for testing and only those that have been verified by our QA dept are listed on our official web site.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
Jojjo
First post

Re: How is compatibility list set up?

Post by Jojjo »

Hi there, sorry to dig up an old thread, but it's better than starting a new one (in my opinion).

I am planning to buy the TS-119P+ that comes with a print server. I have searched the forum for answers, but think I am down to taking a chance. I've recently used Netgear's Stora with a printserver that didn't handle large print jobs, so I have returned it. Prior to that I had my printer connected to an ASUS WL-500g Premium router which worked fantastically until the router died after 5 years of hard work...

Now I still have my Canon i560 printer which me and my family can handle pretty well, so we'd like to keep it. But the list of compatible printers is incredibly narrow. Now I don't expect the NAS to handle two-way communication, but I'd still like it to just "print" whatever I push out.

Will my old Canon most likely don't work? The 119P+ seems like a great NAS, but a print server with these (possible) limitations, will be a high price just for finding out ut it will not work. Is it more clever to buy a separate print server?

Regards, MW.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”