Slot Cooler - Where can I pull Molex or SATA3 power?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jdmba
Starting out

Slot Cooler - Where can I pull Molex or SATA3 power?

Post by jdmba »

Greetings,

I have a TVS-672XT and while I suspect that it is running at appropriate temperature, I can't believe drives are really supposed to be in the heat range of 115 degrees Fahrenheit continuously. I was considering using the open expansion slot for a slot cooler, but looking all over the NAS, I cannot find any available power plug to even split much less use.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Slot Cooler - Where can I pull Molex or SATA3 power?

Post by dolbyman »

I used those in the past .. they rarely made it better (disruptive airflow)

the drives get outside air first(before the rest of the system)..so I doubt a slotcooler on the back would help much .. what is your ambient temp?
jdmba
Starting out

Post by jdmba »

I keep the house at 73-76 degrees.

I am then wondering if maybe I should NOT use M.2 SSD caching, as those little ovens probably aren't doing much to help. Or maybe leaving the 6th unused bay just open, for more inflow?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

leaving a bay open would result in less airflow through the other drives, air likes to go the path of least resistance
elkhornsun
Starting out

Post by elkhornsun »

I have a NAS with the WDC Red drives and another with the Red Pro drives. The Red Pro run 10-15 degrees hotter than the Red drives and routinely are at 107 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit in the enclosure. I was concerned until I found that the specs for the Red Pro drives is operating temperatures up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. The Samsung SSD are rated for temperatures up to 158 degrees Fahrenheit. These devices are clearly designed for use in server farms and similar environments with lots of equipment generating lots of heat.

Going forward I will buy the WDC Red NAS drives along with SSD drives for caching instead of the Red Pro drives that provide very little real gains in performance in a RAID 5 or 6 NAS.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”