Help/Advice Needed on Expansion

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Fides_
Starting out

Re: Help/Advice Needed on Expansion

Post by Fides_ »

Update for anybody that's still interested in my ventures:

I purchased a 10TB Toshiba N300 for ~£240 in the week and picked it up on the weekend (22nd) along with a HDD enclosure from UGREEN on amazon for ~£25. This was the earliest I could collect the hard drive and the caddy.

I got home Sunday night (10:30pm) and started a backup of my large archive and today (24th) it was at 90% synchronised when I got an ABNORMAL report on my oldest disk and my system went into read-only with some blocks marked as abnormal and data copied out of them. Then about an hour or so later those blocks failed but luckily the data is still just about intact. I've just ordered another 10TB Toshiba and restarted the backup as it automatically failed due to it going into read-only.

So hopefully my backup is quick enough to get all my data off my NAS and onto the backup drive I got at the weekend before the drive fails completely. I'm picking up my new disk from the shop tomorrow or Thursday (26th) so I can replace my failed drive when its all backed up.

I can't believe how lucky I got with even getting SOME of my data backed up (it may still fail without completing) and it doesn't seem real that if I started my backup just one day earlier all my data would've been safe without any issues and THEN it would've failed. Or if I had started it one day later I could have potentially lost it all. And to think I was going to go to sleep instead of starting my backup as it didn't initially work as a plug 'n play HDD (I had to restart NAS to format the drive) and if I had waited until the morning I could've lost all my data.

For anyone reading this, back up your data IMMIDIATELY! I can't stress this enough. Don't wait until tomorrow or until after your dinner, do it now. Seriously. I was a mere 8 hours away from losing all my data and will never be this naïve again in my entire life.

I'd just like to say thanks again for your help P3R and Moogle. Hopefully my backup finishes!

Thanks,
Dean
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Help/Advice Needed on Expansion

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

you're welcome.

i'm glad you managed to avoid a total disaster.

backups, very important :X
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”