TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Post Reply
KBoze
New here
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by KBoze » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 am

I have a fairly new TVS-672XT and I’m looking at replacing the CPU. I was going with an i9-9100t which uses the same socket and has same 35w power requirements as the i3-8100t it ships with. The i9-9900t is 2.1GHz boost to 4.0GHz but with 8 cores and 16 threads. I’m not looking for huge improvement or major install.

Should the existing heatsinks/fans work for this or should I also upgrade the heatsinks?

I didn’t see if you upgraded the memory. You can actually run 64GB with the i3. I think the i9 is 128GB but I don’t need that much memory

KBoze
New here
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by KBoze » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:53 am

Do you have pics of the new fan/heatsinks? I didn’t see them scanning through on my phone?

ramx2
Getting the hang of things
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by ramx2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 am

KBoze wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 am
I have a fairly new TVS-672XT and I’m looking at replacing the CPU. I was going with an i9-9100t which uses the same socket and has same 35w power requirements as the i3-8100t it ships with. The i9-9900t is 2.1GHz boost to 4.0GHz but with 8 cores and 16 threads. I’m not looking for huge improvement or major install.

Should the existing heatsinks/fans work for this or should I also upgrade the heatsinks?

I didn’t see if you upgraded the memory. You can actually run 64GB with the i3. I think the i9 is 128GB but I don’t need that much memory
The preinstalled heatsink is enough for the I9-9900T.. Hopefully you can find a good price for that CPU, unless you’re getting the engineering sample.
64GB is supported too that’s true :)
QNAP TVS-672XT:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K, Turbo boost turned back ON and cooled by passive copper heat sink.
RAM: 32GB x 2 Samsung 2666Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6G OCV1 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Ultrastar® DC HC520 12TB x 6 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s | PMR|
SSD: Lexar NVME 500GB for Cashing
PSU: Enhance Flex 600W ENP-7660B

User avatar
antik
Know my way around
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by antik » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 am

Hi guys. In the title is mentioned "RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)".
Is here any specific info that someone has installed an RTX 3000 series graphics card which works?
TVS-1282T3-i7-48G (450W) (fw: h) + 3x NF-A8 PWM + QXG-10G1T + INNO3D RTX 2060 SUPER TWIN X2 OC RGB + 2x 1TB ADATA SX8200PNP M.2 NVMe SSD (OS, apps, RAID1) + 3x 256GB Kingston SSD KC400 (VM's, RAID0) + 1x 1TB Kingston SSD SKC400 (TimeMachine backup) + 8x 10TB Seagate IronWolf Pro (RAID5).
TVS-871-16G (backup) (fw: 4.5.1.1456) + 8x 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro (RAID5, backup and QVR Pro)
Network stuff: Q, QSW-804-4C, ASUS XG-U2008 and TP-Link TL-SG1008MP. Protected by 2x APC CYBERFORT II 700VA.

dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 19973
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by dolbyman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:49 am

antik wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 am
Is here any specific info that someone has installed an RTX 3000 series graphics card which works?
See the first post, it was edited several times.. as there was no RTX3000 series in 2019 anyways

boonjet
Starting out
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by boonjet » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:10 pm

I am still trying to get the RTX 3000 series card. Its sold out everywhere. Currently I am using GTX1050Ti (no 6pins required) for gaming via VM everyday. Ramx has upgraded to Enhanced Flex 600W PSU and GTX1060 with 1x6pins external power supply for gaming. He is knowledgeable and maybe has more experience to share.

ramx2
Getting the hang of things
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by ramx2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 am

boonjet,
I hope you read the news about the RTX3080 cards and how the manufacturers went with cost reductions on the caps? Just make sure you're getting the right brand otherwise you're going to be stuck with downclocked version when they release the fix. A reference card would do or go with ASUS TUF..
It's better to wait before placing the order, because you need the driver update to make it work on the nas, I've seen qnap has support for the Rtx2070 https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... tegory=25
QNAP TVS-672XT:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K, Turbo boost turned back ON and cooled by passive copper heat sink.
RAM: 32GB x 2 Samsung 2666Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6G OCV1 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Ultrastar® DC HC520 12TB x 6 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s | PMR|
SSD: Lexar NVME 500GB for Cashing
PSU: Enhance Flex 600W ENP-7660B

boonjet
Starting out
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by boonjet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:25 am

Hi Ramx2, I will wait for the madness to subside first. Thanks for your advise. Back to the discussion on the Pcie x4 to x16 riser cable. I did some reading online that the Pcie x4 connector on the motherboard limits its power supply to 25W whereas the Pcie x16 connector limits its power supply to 75W. In order to run a GPU (i.e. GTX1050Ti, a GPU without external 6pins power supply) with it, its recommended to have a "Molex powered" Pcie x4 to x16 riser cable. (https://www.moddiy.com/products/PCIE-4X ... wered.html) There is a capacitor on it to re-route power from your motherboard PCI-e slot. This prevents graphics card damage via an extender cable, and also prevent motherboard damage to any system running more than 2 GPUs simultaneously. I have not tried it and am thinking of getting it. However, I tried to run 2 VMs at 3 cores with 16GB ram on each Win10 system. The whole experience was so slow. Not sure if its worth getting the Pcie x4 to x16 riser cable then.

joobeng
Starting out
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K

Post by joobeng » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:18 am

ha77man wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:11 am
So I’ve been running the i9 9900 processor nearly 24 hours.

I’ve noticed that when the CPU is on heavy load there is a system event log message that says CPU frequency reduced to 0.8Ghz. It is happening regularly. I’m not sure exactly what this means (I assume it’s bringing my CPU down to 0.80ghz however although it says it I don’t experience the system start behaving slowly so not entirely sure.
I think it must have something to do with the way I have the fans set in the control panel / settings / hardware / smart fan
I am playing around with it because I don’t get the message if I set them to all automatic where as I do get if set to manual. My cpu at 100% utilisation has not gone over 75 degrees when testing with prim95 as a stress test tool on my windows 10 VM with all core selected on the VM cpu hardware settings.

Anyone got any ideas what I should set as?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Everyone,

1. I have got the TVS-672XT, cpu upgraded to i9-9900, heat sink is original. CPU idle temperature is 57 deg C. 2 x 16GB = 32GB. No graphics card installed.

2. In the beginning, never got the ... CPU down to 0.80ghz warning ..., until I upgraded the firmware to beyond some version which i forgot.

3. Today, upgraded the firmware to latest 4.4.3.1439 build 20200925, CPU down to 0.80ghz warning still there !

4. BIOS version is Q012AT13. QNAP recognized CPU as i9-9900.

5. Anyway to upgrade the BIOS? If so, where to find the file and the steps? Will upgrading the BIOS help with all my problems, mentioned above and below ?

6. I find the QNAP firmwares for this model to be rather unstable. Prior to this firmware upgrade and many in the past, the upgrading get stuck and I hard to press the physical button to OFF the QNAP, try again, then it is ok. I have 4 QNAP boxes and I never experience these problem before. Sometimes, shutting down or reboot QNAP's webpage causes it to get stuck too and must physically press the button to OFF it ... later after boot up ... triggering QNAP to say the DATAVOL (HDD) is not clean. Waste time checking all the DATA volumes.

7. What could be causing all these problems? I have to switch OFF all the VMs before rebooting?

8. Any apps I should un-install or never install, because they cause problems?

Thanks in advance.
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.
RAM: G Skill (Intl) 16GB x 2 = 32GB
GPU add-on card: none
HDD storage: Seagate IronWolf 12TB x 4 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 5)
SSD storage: 860 EVO 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
SSD cache (M.2): 970 EVO PLUS NVME 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
PSU: Stock

boonjet
Starting out
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by boonjet » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:49 am

Hi JooBeng, I am using the firmware 4.4.1 Build 20191005 and has no problem with it. Previously, I also encountered the " CPU down to 0.80ghz warning", I suspected it's due to cpu temp beyond 70 degreeC. After I have replaced the factory heatsink to Noctua NH-D15, I never encounter such warning again. The cpu runs cool below 55 under heavy load. Ambient temp is 30 degreeC and relative humidity is 70%.

I have something to share. Recently, I am running Hybrid Sync with 2 external 4TB Seagate USB3 Harddrive. I experienced Qsync software on local PCs not connected to Qnap. I have tried to reboot the Qnap and relaunch the Apps. All the Apps load except QSync, the "starting" word keeps running. Only after I disconnected one of my "suspected" faulty USB harddrive, the QSync software immediately loads.

Another occasion is the VM is unable to shut down and hangs the whole Qnap. I did a hard reboot by powering off the wall switch. After I disconnected the same USB Harddrive, its OK after.

I ran a disk check in Windows on the "suspected" faulty USB Harddrive, it shows no error. So I think that although none of the Harddrive is showing error on the Qnap, it doesn't mean no issue.

I read other posts that some users have a hard time isolating the device, later found that their SSD also caused instability issue.

Mostly is due to hardware.

joobeng
Starting out
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by joobeng » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:21 pm

ramx2 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:20 am
I've managed to tune up the I9-9900K CPU frequencies and adjust the percentage of the Turbo Boost. The reason for doing it, when Turbo mode is OFF I can see my CPU frequencies isn't going lower than the base clock speed 3.6GhZ.

For me the CPU if Turbo boost is ON it was running on 4.4Ghz so by turning it OFF it switches to 3.6 Ghz and not scaling down at all if the boost is ON or OFF which is annoying.

So you need to SSH into the device and run the following commands:

To check the CPU speed :

Code: Select all

 grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo
Then you can inquire as to the Turbo Boost enabled or disabled status and how to turn it ON or OFF:

Code: Select all

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo
0
Where 0 means turbo is enabled and 1 means it is disabled. And you can change it by writting (as sudo) to the same location.

Code: Select all

$ echo "1" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo
1
I solved the scaling issue by checking and changing the scaling_governor:

To inquire the state the scaling_governor:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
Or

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
performance
It should show you "powersave" or "performance", in my case it was set on "performance" and this was preventing my CPU to scale down.

To change the state of the scaling_governor from performance to powersave:

Code: Select all

echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
To revert back to performance state:

Code: Select all

echo "performance" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

When I ran it, the CPU frequencies scaled down to the lowest clocks.


I also wanted to tune the Turbo frequencies since I want it to be ON and to let the CPU scale to a safe clock speed and to be within the thermal limits to and prevent the CPU from throttling on stress.
So, when Turbo Boost is ON, the CPU should be 4.4 Ghz, and to reach a lower or higher clocks you need to tune-up the with following switches "min_perf_pct" "max_perf_pct":

The default setting for "min_perf_pct" : 16
The default setting for "max_perf_pct" : 100

To inquire and verify those readings:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/min_perf_pct

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
In my case I just needed to lower the Turbo Boost clocks to 80% to prevent it from throttling:

Code: Select all

echo "80" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
Results shows the I9-9900K can reach 4Ghz on stress :)

Finally, we can fine tune the percentage to gain higher Turbo clocks and prevent it from throttling.


If you want to change the minimum frequencies which is not needed of course run the following command:

Code: Select all

echo "50" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/min_perf_pct
This allowed the minimum clock speed to change from being 999Mhz to 2500Mhz and remember the default setting was 16!

Finally, I've managed to keep the Turbo Boost ON and tune to a clock frequency which is acceptable to my thermal limits :D and make it scale to the lowest clock.

PS: These changes aren't permanent on reboot unless you save it in autorun.sh on startup: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your ... at_Startup
Idle temp dropped to 34~35c on 0% Cpu usage, this reading with one copper heat sink. Maybe, after I'll check the stock aluminum heat sink and what temperature readings I'll get.
Hi ramx2,

Thanks for the informative post, manage to do the things you mentioned to lower the max frequency etc.

I read the link you posted: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your ... at_Startup

Not able to understand or proceed further. As the model TVS-672XT is not mentioned ... look under (x86)? Did not want to experience and mess up the QNAP.

Can u explain how we can "mount" with the right parameters? Give some examples ?

I am using the TVS-672XT.

Thank you.
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.
RAM: G Skill (Intl) 16GB x 2 = 32GB
GPU add-on card: none
HDD storage: Seagate IronWolf 12TB x 4 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 5)
SSD storage: 860 EVO 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
SSD cache (M.2): 970 EVO PLUS NVME 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
PSU: Stock

joobeng
Starting out
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by joobeng » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:56 pm

boonjet wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:49 am
Hi JooBeng, I am using the firmware 4.4.1 Build 20191005 and has no problem with it. Previously, I also encountered the " CPU down to 0.80ghz warning", I suspected it's due to cpu temp beyond 70 degreeC. After I have replaced the factory heatsink to Noctua NH-D15, I never encounter such warning again. The cpu runs cool below 55 under heavy load. Ambient temp is 30 degreeC and relative humidity is 70%.

I have something to share. Recently, I am running Hybrid Sync with 2 external 4TB Seagate USB3 Harddrive. I experienced Qsync software on local PCs not connected to Qnap. I have tried to reboot the Qnap and relaunch the Apps. All the Apps load except QSync, the "starting" word keeps running. Only after I disconnected one of my "suspected" faulty USB harddrive, the QSync software immediately loads.

Another occasion is the VM is unable to shut down and hangs the whole Qnap. I did a hard reboot by powering off the wall switch. After I disconnected the same USB Harddrive, its OK after.

I ran a disk check in Windows on the "suspected" faulty USB Harddrive, it shows no error. So I think that although none of the Harddrive is showing error on the Qnap, it doesn't mean no issue.

I read other posts that some users have a hard time isolating the device, later found that their SSD also caused instability issue.

Mostly is due to hardware.
Hi boonjet,

Thanks for sharing.
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.
RAM: G Skill (Intl) 16GB x 2 = 32GB
GPU add-on card: none
HDD storage: Seagate IronWolf 12TB x 4 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 5)
SSD storage: 860 EVO 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
SSD cache (M.2): 970 EVO PLUS NVME 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
PSU: Stock

ramx2
Getting the hang of things
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by ramx2 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 am

Hi Joobeng,

Our device is listed as HAL device:

Code: Select all

All HAL-based Intel and AMD NAS:

Starting from QTS 4.3.3 it's required to enable the autorun.sh processing in the Control Panel -> Hardware -> General: Run user defined startup processes (autorun.sh)

mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
 

Create/Edit /tmp/config/autorun.sh.

either using vi:
# vi /tmp/config/autorun.sh

 

Get vi editor into edit mode: press a
Edit whatever you need to
Exit edit mode: press ESC
Save and exit: x
or editing it using a desktop PC and e.g. SFTP
Ensure that /tmp/config/autorun.sh is executable
# chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

 

IMPORTANT: Unmount the mounted flash partition:
# umount /tmp/config
I don't like to use the console to edit the files, so I use "WinSCP" instead.
login from putty, then run >

Code: Select all

 mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save.

In my Nas I've put in the autorun.sh :

Code: Select all

echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
remember 100 is the max, so you can play with that number until you see your cpu frequency is acceptable and not throttling on stress.

When you finish saving from winscp, run in putty

Code: Select all

chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh
also from putty :

Code: Select all

 umount /tmp/config
After completing the autorun.sh, please don't forget to enable the option to allow running autorun.sh during the system startup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TVS-672XT:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K, Turbo boost turned back ON and cooled by passive copper heat sink.
RAM: 32GB x 2 Samsung 2666Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6G OCV1 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Ultrastar® DC HC520 12TB x 6 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s | PMR|
SSD: Lexar NVME 500GB for Cashing
PSU: Enhance Flex 600W ENP-7660B

joobeng
Starting out
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by joobeng » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 am

ramx2 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 am
Hi Joobeng,

Our device is listed as HAL device:

Code: Select all

All HAL-based Intel and AMD NAS:

Starting from QTS 4.3.3 it's required to enable the autorun.sh processing in the Control Panel -> Hardware -> General: Run user defined startup processes (autorun.sh)

mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
 

Create/Edit /tmp/config/autorun.sh.

either using vi:
# vi /tmp/config/autorun.sh

 

Get vi editor into edit mode: press a
Edit whatever you need to
Exit edit mode: press ESC
Save and exit: x
or editing it using a desktop PC and e.g. SFTP
Ensure that /tmp/config/autorun.sh is executable
# chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

 

IMPORTANT: Unmount the mounted flash partition:
# umount /tmp/config
I don't like to use the console to edit the files, so I use "WinSCP" instead.
login from putty, then run >

Code: Select all

 mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save.

In my Nas I've put in the autorun.sh :

Code: Select all

echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
remember 100 is the max, so you can play with that number until you see your cpu frequency is acceptable and not throttling on stress.

When you finish saving from winscp, run in putty

Code: Select all

chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh
also from putty :

Code: Select all

 umount /tmp/config
After completing the autorun.sh, please don't forget to enable the option to allow running autorun.sh during the system startup.
Hi ramx2,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

1. I was able to follow, until this part where u wrote:

"login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save."

How does one login from winscp? Sorry, i am a beginner ...

Also, how to goto the direction u mentioned? using CD command?

2. Because i was not sure, I took the Vi editor approach

I Goolged "Vi how to save and exit" and got this info:

Vim Save and Quit Command
Switch to command mode by pressing the ESC key.
Press : (colon) to open the prompt bar in the bottom left corner of the window.
Type x after the colon and hit Enter. This will save the changes and exit.

So, I highlighted the 2 rows of commands to be pasted, see below ...
echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct

Press CTRL-C to copy them, go to PUTTY screen, right click on touch pad and it auto paste the 2 rows in Vi

Press ESC
Press ":"
Press x ( to save and exit)
Do the rest of the things u mentioned by copying and pasting in PUTTY.
So far so good, all without errors prompts of any kind.

Waiting for opportunities to restart the QNAP tonight and currently it is being used.

Will report the results later. Looks so far.

3. Will be interested to find out about the winscp mentioned in 1 above, to learn.

4. How were you able to find out able all these steps and what to do? You are a genius !

Thanks again.
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.
RAM: G Skill (Intl) 16GB x 2 = 32GB
GPU add-on card: none
HDD storage: Seagate IronWolf 12TB x 4 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 5)
SSD storage: 860 EVO 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
SSD cache (M.2): 970 EVO PLUS NVME 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
PSU: Stock

joobeng
Starting out
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by joobeng » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:04 am

joobeng wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 am
ramx2 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 am
Hi Joobeng,

Our device is listed as HAL device:

Code: Select all

All HAL-based Intel and AMD NAS:

Starting from QTS 4.3.3 it's required to enable the autorun.sh processing in the Control Panel -> Hardware -> General: Run user defined startup processes (autorun.sh)

mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
 

Create/Edit /tmp/config/autorun.sh.

either using vi:
# vi /tmp/config/autorun.sh

 

Get vi editor into edit mode: press a
Edit whatever you need to
Exit edit mode: press ESC
Save and exit: x
or editing it using a desktop PC and e.g. SFTP
Ensure that /tmp/config/autorun.sh is executable
# chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

 

IMPORTANT: Unmount the mounted flash partition:
# umount /tmp/config
I don't like to use the console to edit the files, so I use "WinSCP" instead.
login from putty, then run >

Code: Select all

 mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save.

In my Nas I've put in the autorun.sh :

Code: Select all

echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
remember 100 is the max, so you can play with that number until you see your cpu frequency is acceptable and not throttling on stress.

When you finish saving from winscp, run in putty

Code: Select all

chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh
also from putty :

Code: Select all

 umount /tmp/config
After completing the autorun.sh, please don't forget to enable the option to allow running autorun.sh during the system startup.
Hi ramx2,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

1. I was able to follow, until this part where u wrote:

"login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save."

How does one login from winscp? Sorry, i am a beginner ...

Also, how to goto the direction u mentioned? using CD command?

2. Because i was not sure, I took the Vi editor approach

I Goolged "Vi how to save and exit" and got this info:

Vim Save and Quit Command
Switch to command mode by pressing the ESC key.
Press : (colon) to open the prompt bar in the bottom left corner of the window.
Type x after the colon and hit Enter. This will save the changes and exit.

So, I highlighted the 2 rows of commands to be pasted, see below ...
echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct

Press CTRL-C to copy them, go to PUTTY screen, right click on touch pad and it auto paste the 2 rows in Vi

Press ESC
Press ":"
Press x ( to save and exit)
Do the rest of the things u mentioned by copying and pasting in PUTTY.
So far so good, all without errors prompts of any kind.

Waiting for opportunities to restart the QNAP tonight and currently it is being used.

Will report the results later. Looks so far.

3. Will be interested to find out about the winscp mentioned in 1 above, to learn.

4. How were you able to find out able all these steps and what to do? You are a genius !

Thanks again.
Hi ramx2 and all,

a. As mentioned, after saving the autorun.sh, I tried to REMOTELY reboot the TVS-672XT, it got stuck (hangs), trying to shut down the services.

b. Note that at this stage, the various commands have been applied to the TVS-672XT, the temperature of the CPU is rather cool in idle mode (i recall seeing as low as 35 deg C, less than the 45 deg C of HDD),
just pending for me to reboot, to try out the newly created autostart.sh

c. To be frank, problem seems to be worst i have seen. Previously, QNAP was able to shutdown a few apps before it hangs while trying to reboot. Now, the first apps it tries to shutdown causes it to hang (Download Station).

The unit is able to shutdown services successfully sometimes and reboot without problems but i recall this is more and more rare now.

I can confirm that Download Station is not doing any downloads or uploads. All VMs in Virtualisation Station have been shutdown before I tried to reboot.

I have taken 2 screenshot with time shown to prove that after a long time, it is still hung.

d. This has been happening to me for long time. When i first bought the unit, it did not hang when trying to reboot. I did get the impress that it was taking a long time to shutdown and reboot completely will all services started,
much longer than i was expecting.

It was after i upgraded the firmware i few times (and/or maybe installed some apps too).

e. Any ideas what i can do, perhaps uninstall some apps and try again? Starting with Download Station?

f. The only thing i can do now is to physically go to the location of the TVS-672XT and physically press and hold the ON button to force it to shut down.

g. After restarting it, QTS will report all the volume as not clean and will have do a check on all the volumes.

h. BTW, how often should one reboot the TVS-672XT to ensure it is stable (no memory leaks or other issues such as those for a windows server, i know QNAP is on Linux :-) ), once a week, once a month, never ?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.
RAM: G Skill (Intl) 16GB x 2 = 32GB
GPU add-on card: none
HDD storage: Seagate IronWolf 12TB x 4 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 5)
SSD storage: 860 EVO 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
SSD cache (M.2): 970 EVO PLUS NVME 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
PSU: Stock

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”