Fibre Channel HBA not found

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
James_Parker
New here

Fibre Channel HBA not found

Post by James_Parker »

Hi!

Maybe you can help me bringing light into darkness about this.
First of all for me it's clear this is a brand new topic and I'm expecting only a hand full of some guys will
have the knowledge about fibre channel in a QNAP NAS. Normally it's not really often to combine this together.

The scenario:

I've taken a TS-673 as a data bunker for my virtualization infrastructure at home. As iSCSI performance wasn't really as expected after some tests, I'd
supply my QNAP with one of my 8Gbit FC HBAs (what is now supportet).
So I installed a Qlogic QLE 2562 in the storage (HBA model is also supportet according to QNAP!).
Disillusionment came very quickly after boot of NAS because I had to recognize in control panel/hardware/expansion cards there isn't any HBA showing up.
Also under "iSCSI & Fibre Channel" no ports appearing. :S

My guess not recognizing the HBA is, although it's supported by QNAP, because it's actually QLE2562-HP (HP branded HBA).
This HBAs also have different WWPNs beginning with "50 01" instead of "21 00". :'

So my question to you: Am I correct with this assumption even though it's the same brand (and model) supported by QNAP? If not, how do I get the HBA in the NAS
to run? :?:
TS-673, QTS 4.4.1, 5x WD Red 4TB RAID 6
HPE DL 360 G7, VMware ESXi 6.7 U2
HPE DL 380 G6 (G7 Mod), VMware ESXi 6.7 U2
qrusher
Know my way around

Re: Fibre Channel HBA not found

Post by qrusher »

may be you can crossflash Qlogic QLE 2562 with manufacturer original fw
may be it will works correctly in qts after that
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
James_Parker
New here

Post by James_Parker »

Would be great if tha's possible, but haven't found anything about that to flash with Qlogic (Marvell) firmware.

It's suspicious because the card isn't really showing up like it's not physically installed.
James_Parker
New here

Post by James_Parker »

So I maybe have the answer to this issue.
I downloaded the QCC CLI and recent firmware from Qlogic to try flashing the HBA with a Qlogic firmware. What I've found is really interesting and
frustrating together.
The following details are shown in QCC CLI on a HP QLE2562:

HBA Model : HPAJ764A
Device ISP ID : ISP2532
HBA Description : HP AJ764A PCI-E to 8Gb FC DualChannel

So if you check the FC adapter information, the HP QLE2562 HBA shows itself as a HP HBA model. This is probably the reason why the NAS isn't showing the HBA in control panel.
Would be interesting as which model HBAs from Dell, IBM/Lenovo, Cisco,........... are shown.
SupraWez
Starting out

Post by SupraWez »

Hello,

Did you get any further with this, I am also trying to setup some QLE2562 based HBA with no luck :(
pursch
Getting the hang of things

Post by pursch »

After an unsuccsessful test of a HP branded QLogic QLE2562-HP I bought a used geniune QLogic QLE2562 / PX2810403-01 on ebay, installed the QLogic CLI, updated the firmware, tested the HBA in my Windows computer but my TVS-473 does not recognize the adapter. I also tested a HP QW972 / SN1000Q 16Gb dual-port adapter, with no success.

Because the genuine QLogic adaper was not recognized it could be possible the HP branding is not the show stopper. Perhaps QLogic HBAs are unsupported in general?
TS-109 II Pro -|- FW 3.1.0 Build 0708T -|- HD SAMSUNG SpinPoint T166 series HD501LJ 500GB
TS-119 -|- FW 3.7.3 -|- WD Green 1TB WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0 01.0
jimmylegs
First post

Post by jimmylegs »

Hello Pursch,

Did you ever get the QLE25XX series cards working in a newer QNAP? I have a lot of these cards and would like to use them in a Ryzen based QNAP. If it is just a matter of getting QTS to load the driver that would be great.
wallysimmonds
First post

Post by wallysimmonds »

Interested in this as well. If these qlogics don't work, is there anything that does? Have a FC requirement until I replace my Vmware infrastructure backend..

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”