TS-1635AX getting slow transfer speeds with Dual 10GB Fiber?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
bobross
Starting out

TS-1635AX getting slow transfer speeds with Dual 10GB Fiber?

Post by bobross »

I have a TS-1635AX with both 10G fiber plugged directly into my Windows 10 x64 via Server Adapter X520-2. When I transfer large files over a single 10G connection I get speeds that are basically what you would expect from a 1Gb connection - about 140MB/S. How is this possible when its connected directly? I'm not going through any switch?

If I port trunk on the NAS side and Bridge to connections on the Windows side (verify they both say 20GB) the speed does not get any better. What am I doing wrong here?

I ready that Win10 Pro can't do netwrok teaming? Could I "trick" my system with a VM using Windows server?

Thank you for any suggestions.
TS-1635AX
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-1635AX getting slow transfer speeds with Dual 10GB Fiber?

Post by P3R »

bobross wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:46 am ...about 140MB/S. How is this possible when its connected directly?
Because the network connection isn't the performance bottleneck. With 10 GbE it very rarely is. CPU or the storage itself are more likely.
What am I doing wrong here?
Not identifying the bottleneck before trying to solve the issue with increased networking bandwidth. When a car at full throttle doesn't do more than 140 km/h, it won't go any faster because you put brand new tyres on the car or make the road twice as wide.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
onesmallstep1966
Getting the hang of things

Post by onesmallstep1966 »

iPerf3 is a good utility for testing link speed between two devices.
It will let you know if your LAN interface is working at full speed.
QNAP TVS-672XT Upgraded to 16GB RAM connected via Thunderbolt 3 to Late 2018 MacBook Pro
M.2 Bays = 2 x Samsung 1TB EVO 970 NVMe (RAID 0 for Super-Fast TB3 FCPX editing volume)
Bays 1-6 = 3 x Samsung 1TB EVO 960 SATA and 3 x Seagate 10TB IronWolf (RAID 5 + Qtier)

QNAP TR-004 - Backup device including RTRR for RAID 0 volume
JBOD = 1 x Seagate 10TB IronWolf 1 x Seagate 6TB IronWolf
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Test internal read speeds and compare
"qcli_storage -T" -> disk/raid performance test
Using DAC cable or optical?
I suspect those onboard SFP+ connection drivers.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I would search Bob Zelin posts as I believe he has deployed some 1635s and said he couldn’t get full 10GB throughput out of them.

Not sure if he has tested the newer version or not. That being said if you are only getting 100MB ish throughput that seems low.

Also ensure that you have jumbo frames enabled all through the nw chain.

First step as was indicated above is measuring storage throughput inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Trexx wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 am I would search Bob Zelin posts as I believe he has deployed some 1635s and said he couldn’t get full 10GB throughput out of them.

Not sure if he has tested the newer version or not. That being said if you are only getting 100MB ish throughput that seems low.

Also ensure that you have jumbo frames enabled all through the nw chain.

First step as was indicated above is measuring storage throughput inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the opposite, turn off jumbo frames and check it works first.
Jumbo frame mismatch big source of performance issues.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

here is the quick miserable answer -
why is this not working ? Why are you getting such horrible speeds ? Because the TS-1635 and the TS-1635ax are a piece of junk. They look just like the TS-1685 and the TS-1677X, but they are not.
They are slow dogs. The 10G ports do not produce 10G speeds. There are more QNAP products like the TS-831X and TS-832X that are in that same category of junk useless products. I have no idea of why
QNAP ever bothered to put 10G ports on these. There is nothing you can to do fix this.

See - now all of a sudden, that extra $1500 for the TS-1685 doesn't seem that expensive ? Right ? QNAP makes some great amazing products. And they make some junk. Unfortunately you purchased junk.
The last TS-1635ax I installed was purchased just as a backup system for a TS-1685. I still regret making the recommendation, when the client said "isn't there anything cheaper that we can purchase instead
of another TS-1685?". Sometimes you have to be burned to learn your lessons.

If you bought the TS-1685 or TS-1667X, you would be getting 1000 MB/sec to your Win 10 PC Intel X520 right now.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Bob Zelin wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:36 am here is the quick miserable answer -
why is this not working ? Why are you getting such horrible speeds ? Because the TS-1635 and the TS-1635ax are a piece of junk. They look just like the TS-1685 and the TS-1677X, but they are not.
They are slow dogs. The 10G ports do not produce 10G speeds. There are more QNAP products like the TS-831X and TS-832X that are in that same category of junk useless products. I have no idea of why
QNAP ever bothered to put 10G ports on these. There is nothing you can to do fix this.

See - now all of a sudden, that extra $1500 for the TS-1685 doesn't seem that expensive ? Right ? QNAP makes some great amazing products. And they make some junk. Unfortunately you purchased junk.
The last TS-1635ax I installed was purchased just as a backup system for a TS-1685. I still regret making the recommendation, when the client said "isn't there anything cheaper that we can purchase instead
of another TS-1685?". Sometimes you have to be burned to learn your lessons.

If you bought the TS-1685 or TS-1667X, you would be getting 1000 MB/sec to your Win 10 PC Intel X520 right now.

Bob Zelin
Yes I had a client with the same issues and the box was swopped
Did you ever resolve the speed with other 10GbE card fitted, SFP+ or RJ45?
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I have unfortunately installed multiple TS-1635's and multiple TS-1635ax systems. And I have unfortunately installed multiple TS-831X and TS-832X systems. And I have unfortunately installed multiple QM2 cards with Tehuti 10G chips on them.

What can I say. I know fully well that QNAP needs to compete in the low end market with Synology and Netgear, because if this was sales and accounting data, no one would really care. And these boxes may the the correct solution for these applications. But my applications (professional video editing and graphics) require great bandwidth, and these inferior boxes simply cannot perform like their superior counter parts -
specifically -
a TS-832X is not a TVS-872XT. They are both 8 bay QNAP's with 10G ports. It's like another company built the other product.
A TS-1635ax is not a TS-1685. They are both 12 bay QNAP's with dual 10G ports. It's like another company built the other product.

I am not picking on QNAP here - both Synology and Netgear make "good stuff" and they make "crap". I guess it's not "crap" if you are doing accounting data, and are backing up 500 gigs of data.
In my world - 500 Gigs of data is about 10 minutes of media.

If your professional job was to fix Grandma's Windows XP computer - you might do the same junky work, because you just could not be bothered.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”