NAS not showing up in Windows 10 Explorer

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
philguk
Know my way around

NAS not showing up in Windows 10 Explorer

Post by philguk »

I have three NAS's on my network

When I open Windows 10 Explorer TWO of them show up, but the third resolutely refuses to

So far as I can tell, all three are set up in similar ways

Any clues as to why the third is being difficult?

If it's relevant, I also have intermittent problems browsing to it's internet address from Explorer, though I can get to the web interface with no problem

I'm at a loss :(
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS not showing up in Windows 10 Explorer

Post by dolbyman »

all 3 have mounted shares ?
philguk
Know my way around

Post by philguk »

They certainly do - in fact, I have no problem accessing all three from a Windows 7 machine

Most perplexing

Possibly a red herring, but the awkward NAS seems to be responding VERY slowly - but I get the vague "couldn't access device" message from Win 10. I'm trying a restart as we speak
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so if they all have shares mounted .. where is the problem ?

from your PC just access

//NAS1/share (drive x:)
//NAS2/share (drive Y:)
//NAS3/share (drive Z:)

all good
philguk
Know my way around

Post by philguk »

Indeed

In my case I get an error from Windows on ONE of the above. I’ll post a screenshot of the error tomorrow, but it’s something like “network path does not exist” :(

The other two work just fine
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

u can use qfinder to mount shares.

perhaps try unmount, then remount see if that helps?

make sure no other thing is using that drive letter.

maybe also in qts go to your share and check the settings. maybe you got something there that is different is is restricting the share mount from working correctly. compare the setting vs the others, and check permission rights as well :X
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
philguk
Know my way around

Post by philguk »

Well, everything seems to be working this morning

The only hint I have is that the NAS was VERY slow last night - updating virus definitions so far as I can tell, and perhaps doing a virus scan. In any case, it was 35% cpu busy and >80% RAM used
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

if you feel the nas is slow, few things you can do

1. in qts check resource monitor. is cpu 100% ?? or did the memory trigger a memory swap (basically you over use your ram, so now it begins dumping onto the hdd which slows down performance)

2. benchmark your hdds are running okay. there is a benchmark you can do, and compare the results vs the hdd reviews for what expected performance you should be getting. you can also check smart test that the hdds are in good condition or not.

the tool to test performance between your NAS and PC is like iperf qpkg which you can download from qnapclub.eu

anyway there must be a reason why you are getting slow downs. you need to find out what that is by going a checklist of things in order to troubleshoot to then rectify the issue.

I wonder, could it be a raid scrubbing that was scheduled that was running in background? this is one possible cause for slow downs. raid scrubbing is recommended to be run at least once each month. performance definitely takes a hit while it performs that :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

another possible solution
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... sion-1709/

in windows 10, go to explorer, then to network. at the top bar there should be something like ws discovery is not enabled. make sure it's enabled. at that point qnap should discoverable and work. the qnap would appear in the network, then you click that.

at least thats what worked for me in my particular troubleshoot scenario. this may not necessarily be the fix for you, but it's one possible scenario if your qnap is undiscoverable on windows 10, could be that ws discovery was disabled.

in my case, it might have been when i used the network reset function when doing a separate troubleshoot X_X:
NAS

Network

Resources
ROLLINS
Know my way around

Post by ROLLINS »

I am having the same issue, i did what you said but i don't see ws discovery is not enabled.
That qnap finder is a waste only working half the time to upload files, windows does it better
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ROLLINS wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:41 am I am having the same issue, i did what you said but i don't see ws discovery is not enabled.
That qnap finder is a waste only working half the time to upload files, windows does it better
we use qfinder to troubleshoot that the qnap is indeed detected..... wasn't recommending to use qfinder for file transfer :S

i also use smb windows explorer for that.

qnap qts does have an inbuilt filestation where you can also do file transfers similar to windows explorer. i don't normally use it, but it does have it's purposes. for example.... if you want to do INTERNAL transfers of files, you can do so much faster using the inbuilt file station. There are very few times i would rely on it for that purpose. But for just a few files, i am fine just using windows explorer.
NAS

Network

Resources
ROLLINS
Know my way around

Post by ROLLINS »

I was using windows explorer to upload my files,since i cannot see my qnap in windows anymore. I started using Qfinder which has disappointed many times
I'll checkout this smb you mentioned, i have many files that need uploading been a pain last few weeks trying to upload. Can smb upload multi files to different
folders or i must upload to 0ne shared folder ? My files have specific folders to go in
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

I am experiencing the same issue. Should I open a ticket with qnap? I am afraid they may bounce me back to windows ...
windows 10
- network discovery is enabled
- files and printer sharing is enabled
- client for MS network is enable (in network adapter property
what else?
I did not change the SMB settings in the QTS control panel ...
I did a fresh windows 10 installation ... no joy
TS-531P Annapurna
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

whats your qnap lan ip? is it setup correctly? did you do dhcp, or static? and is it in the same subnet as your other devices?

can you even detect from qfinder? you can? but windows explorer doesn't work still?

Did you you have any sort of software firewall or anti virus running on your pc? some like bitdefender are known to cause issues, unless you unblock for qnap. this is another thing to check for.

some special apps i use on android is only smb1 compatible, so i had to enable smb1 on qnap or it would not be able to access. but if your issue is in regards to windows explorer on win10, then i don't think that's the issue as smb3 will work fine.
NAS

Network

Resources
philguk
Know my way around

Post by philguk »

my issues are similar to those already described, but TRANSIENT

sometimes when I try and access my NAS through Windows I get a seemingly permanent "you are not authorised to access this resource" message even though I am the administrator of the NAS!!

and yet sometimes it works without a hitch

and I have been unable (so far) to detect any pattern as to why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

driving me NUTS!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”