NAS not showing up in Windows 10 Explorer

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: NAS not showing up in Windows 10 Explorer

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

well if you want, i can try remote to check whats wrong ;_;

or you should probly ask helpdesk to help you with that, since they are official qnap, i'm just a regular user like yourself 8)

https://service.qnap.com/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:24 pm whats your qnap lan ip? is it setup correctly? did you do dhcp, or static? and is it in the same subnet as your other devices?
static, same subnet
can you even detect from qfinder? you can? but windows explorer doesn't work still?
Qfinder can detect the NAS, the issue is with windows explorer i.e. smb negotiaition
Did you you have any sort of software firewall or anti virus running on your pc? some like bitdefender are known to cause issues, unless you unblock for qnap. this is another thing to check for.
No, just windows defender which I disabled with no success
some special apps i use on android is only smb1 compatible, so i had to enable smb1 on qnap or it would not be able to access. but if your issue is in regards to windows explorer on win10, then i don't think that's the issue as smb3 will work fine.
No special apps. I did not install anything to keep everything clean and not adding any intruder to better streamdown the issue
Actually I am stuck to the point: I cannot enable File and Printer sharing in Network and sharing center unless I do not enable SMC1.0 but people says to not doing that. In the working PC SMB 1.0 is disables from windows features list but NFS is enabled so I am really puzzled now.

BTW I opened a ticket with QNAP yesterday and I'll keep you posted
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 am well if you want, i can try remote to check whats wrong ;_;
Thanks for the offering. Send a private message in case
or you should probly ask helpdesk to help you with that, since they are official qnap, i'm just a regular user like yourself 8)

I have done already
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

philguk wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:20 am my issues are similar to those already described, but TRANSIENT
I am surprised by how many people is suffering this: I am wondering if we should thank microsoft, qnap or both :(
sometimes when I try and access my NAS through Windows I get a seemingly permanent "you are not authorised to access this resource" message even though I am the administrator of the NAS!!

and yet sometimes it works without a hitch

and I have been unable (so far) to detect any pattern as to why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

driving me NUTS!
Me too. My case is different since things works on two PCs out of 3 (here I did a fresh w10 installation to clean things uo ...)
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

I also get error when accessing \\localhost from explorer. Maybe it is to be expected since file and printer sharing is not enabled
TS-531P Annapurna
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

stanzani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:32 pm
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 am well if you want, i can try remote to check whats wrong ;_;
Thanks for the offering. Send a private message in case

I have done already

they no longer allow pm on the forum here for some reason.... :{

have to use reddit. my profile is here if you want to send a pm
https://www.reddit.com/user/MoogleStiltzkin

just send me your teamviewer code (using private message on reddit) so i can then check remote access to your pc, then your qnap, web browser, windows 10 settings, then qfinder to try and figure out why it's not working.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

if you got anything private you don't want seen, or have trust issues (which is totally understandable), then DON'T do this.

some people have trusted me in the past, and i've worked with the financial, HR industry so i have experience handling sensitive data and i have no criminal record. but this is some stranger over the internet saying this which is not much of a verification/validation of this claim so... :(

i recently fixed my own troubleshoot issue. my smart tv wired connection got lost. i identified the issue as being an ethernet cable fault. so i'm replacing that with a cable validated by many other buyers as working without issues.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

stanzani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:31 pm static, same subnet
ok we rule this out
stanzani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:31 pm
Qfinder can detect the NAS, the issue is with windows explorer i.e. smb negotiaition
ok, i'm also the issue is the smb nego like you said

stanzani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:31 pm
No, just windows defender which I disabled with no success
ok we can rule this out. but then did you check windows firewall? try with it disabled temporarily see if it does anything different. in the past this had caused me issues, so i had reseted firewall to fix :D

stanzani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:31 pm Actually I am stuck to the point: I cannot enable File and Printer sharing in Network and sharing center unless I do not enable SMC1.0 but people says to not doing that. In the working PC SMB 1.0 is disables from windows features list but NFS is enabled so I am really puzzled now.

BTW I opened a ticket with QNAP yesterday and I'll keep you posted
Are you willing to do a Windows Refresh or reset ? Then we can get a clean Windows 10 pc, so we can rule out some odd thing on your pc preventing this? This is assuming the issue is on the client device side.

Cauz there is always the possibility the issue on the QTS side. On the qts side, you have to go to networking windows smb. Make sure smb is enabled for starters. Then we also have to check the shares.

I suggest to check these things BEFORE resorting to a windows 10 refresh/reset. If you do this, you MAY need to reinstall apps on your pc :X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vuaXGox5f0
NAS

Network

Resources
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

I disable firwall and windows defender. Sill does not work
TS-531P Annapurna
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

stanzani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 pm ...
just to confirm sxxxxxxxxxm is you on reddit right? :'
NAS

Network

Resources
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

It is
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

I reinstalled windows (w/i formatting) and I reset the NAS to factory default as suggested by QNAP support and then restarted. The issue magically disappear but this weird experience makes me uncomfortable with both systems ...
Now I can also see browse the NAS using \\NAS-NAME instead of NAS-IP ... there is something ... temperamental in SMB protocol ...
TS-531P Annapurna
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

stanzani wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:52 pm I reinstalled windows (w/i formatting) and I reset the NAS to factory default as suggested by QNAP support and then restarted. The issue magically disappear but this weird experience makes me uncomfortable with both systems ...
Now I can also see browse the NAS using \\NAS-NAME instead of NAS-IP ... there is something ... temperamental in SMB protocol ...
glad you managed to fix it.

maybe.... you set something up incorrectly but you had not noticed? this is what i suspect.

So when you factory reset you started back from a blank slate to undo some of thos misconfigurations that was causing this issue.

i doubt it's as serious an issue as you said, it's probly a misconfiguration that was not noticed which is more likely. anyway glad it worked :D
NAS

Network

Resources
David Morrow
Getting the hang of things

Post by David Morrow »

PROBLEM SOLVED. (for me).

I realize that this is an old post but it seems to be a recurring problem for many. Including me.

Here's my experience. I had the network adapter number 1 go a bit haywire on my TS-453A. This adapter was set to a static IP address. When it went haywire, I was unable to access its Config menu other than for Jumbo frames so I could not undo the Static IP address.

So I switched over to Adapter 2. I also set this adapter to a static IP address. I also went into my Synology router and set up an IP address reservation. However, even with the reservation, the router set another IP address for the NAS. Now it showed one address in the general IP address settings and a different one in the IP Reservations settings. I managed to get these two to agree after a bit of messing about. Then I went back to the NAS and to the Network adapter setting and reset it so that it Obtained an IP address automatically. It then forgot what I had set it for and accepted what the router told it to use. The NAS was instantly found in Windows File Explorer.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”