TS-251D-2G memory upgrade

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Ptoube
New here

Re: TS-251D-2G memory upgrade

Post by Ptoube »

I will receive my ts 251d on Monday. I am new user.... I want to upgrade ram and want to ask what is better, 8 or 16gb of ram? I will use it for music, photos, a movie via plex to my samsung tv, and maybe a virtual machine sometimes.
Thnx
sergiob
First post

Post by sergiob »

Can anyone tell me if the TS-251D-2G is exactly the same as the TS-251D-4G, except for the memory?

I would appreciate your feedback, thanks :)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

exactly the same device..besides the memory
Steve62
Starting out

Post by Steve62 »

In case it's relevant to people, I have just added a single 8GB stick of Crucial 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM RAM 1.2V CL17 (CT8G4SFS824A) to my TS-251D and it is now humming along.
Qnap TS-251D-2G, 2 x 2GB drives in RAID1 on Windows 10.
psgnas
Starting out

Post by psgnas »

I've read through this thread and I found it very useful to know other users experience with several RAM models.

I a recent NAS user. I just bought my TS-215D 2Gb a month ago but I'm realizing that 2Gb is short for 1 or two simultaneous media streams, with Qsync running on 2/3 clients and some other mundane tasks. With this typical usage I want to upgrade its RAM to 8Gb.
The options I have in mind are:
1. Two 4Gb sticks with the positive feedback in this thread: Crucial CT4G4SFS824A 4 GB (DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200, Single Rank x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin)
or
2. A single 8Gb (which would be more future-proof if I would want to upgrade it even further in the future): Crucial CT8G4SFS824A 8 GB (DDR4, 2400MHz SODIMM RAM 1.2V CL17 (the feedback from @Steve62 is that the works good)

In the compatibility issue, I think both solution would be suitable. They both have positive feedback in this thread and are also both referred in NASCompares (https://nascompares.com/ram/qnap-ts-251 ... y-upgrade/).

Price-wise it's a no-brainer because one 8Gb stick is almost the same price of the 4Gb (a slight difference of £3) and for the 4Gb I would have to buy 2 of them. So the single stick option would be much cheaper.

Rationally, everything points to the single 8Gb stick but I'm just wondering why this is not everyone's options. Is there something that I'm not considering?
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

psgnas wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 am Rationally, everything points to the single 8Gb stick but I'm just wondering why this is not everyone's options. Is there something that I'm not considering?
Dual-channel memory.

Dual-channel memory doubles the memory bandwidth between the RAM and the CPU. So twice the amount of data can be transferred at once between RAM and CPU compared to single-channel. This results in higher overall performance.

If you use a single 8 GB stick of RAM in one slot, you have single-channel memory.
If you use two identical 4 GB sticks of RAM, one in each slot, you have dual-channel memory.

That's why most motherboards are equipped with an even number of RAM slots, and most RAM kits are sold in the form of a pair of identical sticks.

High-end CPUs support quad-channel memory.
psgnas
Starting out

Post by psgnas »

Mousetick wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 am Dual-channel memory.

Dual-channel memory doubles the memory bandwidth between the RAM and the CPU. So twice the amount of data can be transferred at once between RAM and CPU compared to single-channel. This results in higher overall performance.

If you use a single 8 GB stick of RAM in one slot, you have single-channel memory.
If you use two identical 4 GB sticks of RAM, one in each slot, you have dual-channel memory.

That's why most motherboards are equipped with an even number of RAM slots, and most RAM kits are sold in the form of a pair of identical sticks.

Understood, thanks for the explanation. It make sense, but I don't know if it's worth almost twice the price..
psgnas
Starting out

Post by psgnas »

Ok. In the end I went for 2 memory stick of 4 GB Crucial CT4G4SFS824A and everything is working wonderfully.
I got a bit scared on the first boot as it didn't beeped and was not booting up. In the end was the stick on secondary bank was not correctly in place. It was a bit harder to fit properly.
se7vanj
First post

Post by se7vanj »

Hi, could you please help me with
model number / URL / Product SKU of a 16 GB crucial RAM Memory you are using in TS-251D-2G ?

Its just not clear to me if the below will work? DR vs SR

Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 3200 MT/S (PC4-25600) CL22 DR X8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD832A
milanr
New here

Post by milanr »

Hi guys,
I want to upgrade memory on my 251D-2G device but I'm confused with all those options :) I searched for Crucial modules and there is options as Single Rank and Dual Rank.
1. What's the difference and are both compatible with 251D?
2. Is it better to have 2 modules with 8GB or one single 16GB?
psgnas
Starting out

Post by psgnas »

milanr wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:34 am Hi guys,
I want to upgrade memory on my 251D-2G device but I'm confused with all those options :) I searched for Crucial modules and there is options as Single Rank and Dual Rank.
1. What's the difference and are both compatible with 251D?
2. Is it better to have 2 modules with 8GB or one single 16GB?
Hi @milanr,

Iºm not an expert in this matters but referred to our questions:

1. Maybe check this: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/single-ra ... el-memory/
I'm not sure on the compatibility, but I think I've someone say that should be avoided to have memory chips higher than 1 or 2 GB capacity. This means that it depends on the total memory capacity of the DIMM and its number of chips;

2. For this I point you to an earlier explanation from @Mousetick:
Mousetick wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 am
psgnas wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 am Rationally, everything points to the single 8Gb stick but I'm just wondering why this is not everyone's options. Is there something that I'm not considering?
Dual-channel memory.

canada16
Know my way around

Post by canada16 »

Hi
I installed CT8G4SFS824A
Single Crucial 8GB Ram 2400MHz (PC4-19200) 260pin single rank CL17
It showed on crucial website that it would fit but it does not even boot up

I returned 1 as I thought it was faulty, but the second had the same issue so I put the 2gb QNAP ram back and its working fine.

Crucial are now saying you cannot install a single ram into the QNAP TS-251D which I find hard to believe as it currently has a single ram in there from qnap.

My RAM is maxing out if I try installing my external drive so I urgenty need to install more RAM.

I had a old TS-259 and only had 1gb ram and never had a issue. It seems the new QNAP are very RAM hungry like Window Vista.

Can someone share a link for 2x4gb ram which will fit my QNAP.

It has to be a UK link.

Thanks so much

EDIT: Will this fit: https://www.ebuyer.com/736873-crucial-8 ... erm=213931
kristian_kostov
Starting out

Post by kristian_kostov »

Just FYI - I upgraded my 251D with this DDR4
2x4Gb, APACER 2400MHz ,1.2V, CL17, double sided (DR)
Absolutely no problems so far !
TS-451D2, RAID 5 (3x4TB WD RED wd40efrx)
psgnas
Starting out

Post by psgnas »

canada16 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:08 am Hi
I installed CT8G4SFS824A
Single Crucial 8GB Ram 2400MHz (PC4-19200) 260pin single rank CL17
It showed on crucial website that it would fit but it does not even boot up

I returned 1 as I thought it was faulty, but the second had the same issue so I put the 2gb QNAP ram back and its working fine.

Crucial are now saying you cannot install a single ram into the QNAP TS-251D which I find hard to believe as it currently has a single ram in there from qnap.

My RAM is maxing out if I try installing my external drive so I urgenty need to install more RAM.

I had a old TS-259 and only had 1gb ram and never had a issue. It seems the new QNAP are very RAM hungry like Window Vista.

Can someone share a link for 2x4gb ram which will fit my QNAP.

It has to be a UK link.

Thanks so much

EDIT: Will this fit: https://www.ebuyer.com/736873-crucial-8 ... erm=213931
Hi canada16,

I guess your problem could have been originated because the memory was single rank. These SODIMMs have chips with double the amount of individual memory of those double ranked and the NAS have a certain limit for these.

Additionally, be careful fitting it in the secondary rack. I've recently installed 2x4GB (CT2K4G4SFS824A) and it didn't boot the first time because the SODIMM in the secondary rack was not properly placed.
I have it working flawlessly with this ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT2K4G ... ref=sr_1_1
giumazzi
First post

Post by giumazzi »

Hello to everyone.
May I upgrade to 6Gb RAM (1 of 2Gb e 1 of 4Gb) ?

Thank you for your help

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”