QNAP TR-004 causing 30 second delay during POST on Win 10 PC

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pjstr004
New here

QNAP TR-004 causing 30 second delay during POST on Win 10 PC

Post by pjstr004 »

Hello

I have a TR-004 which I use to store TV programs and movies for my Plex DVR. It is set up in Software control mode which is connected to a USB 3 port on my ASUS motherboard. The device works great except I have noticed that when I restart my PC, POST completes with a single beep signifying a clean completion and then I have a black screen with a solid cursor in the top left corner for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, the system switches screens to show the start of loading Windows 10 (same issue on Win 10 version 1909 and 2004).

If I eject the TR-004 device from Windows and power off the TR-004, I do not have the 30 second delay during a reboot.

If I power off the PC with the TR-004 in normal operation, there is no delay on startup either.

I usually leave my PC on all of the time so I cannot say for sure when this started. I was running firmware 1.0.4 but have updated to 1.1.1 in hopes that would fix the issue but no such luck.

Could it be that the TR-004 takes 30 seconds to respond to the PC as it is running in software control mode and that is causing the delay? Does anyone else have this issue and where you able to find a work around to it?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TR-004 causing 30 second delay during POST on Win 10 PC

Post by dolbyman »

your computer probably tries to boot from it

lower or remove the tr from the boot priorority
pjstr004
New here

Post by pjstr004 »

I checked the BIOS and the tr is not listed as an option in the EUFI boot priority, only the NVMe drive and an internal SATA drive
pjstr004
New here

Post by pjstr004 »

I did some more testing and when I reboot my computer, the Green LED for the disk goes off, the Blue LED for USB goes off and then the green status LED goes off as well. The lights come back on as soon as the POST completes, but then I have to wait 30 seconds while I have a all black screen with a solid cursor at the top left.
When the computer powers on the LEDs described above do not go off and come back on, the USB port must be resetting the TR-004 on reboot and the motherboard waits until it can enumerate the TR-004 before proceeding.
I do not know what else I can try, I have tried all BIOS settings re USB with no change.

Any ideas?
teraman108
First post

Post by teraman108 »

Hi, did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same issue with QNAT TR-002. This can be avoided of course by turning the unit off when posting, but I'd like to hear if there is another way.
apo86
New here

Post by apo86 »

Still a problem in 2022. Anyone have any ideas besides just not booting with the thing connected? Kinda **
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Opening a ticket with QNAP should be a good idea
robsonhermes
New here

Post by robsonhermes »

Did u guys find a solution for this? Having the same problem with my QNAP TR-004. I tried playing around with the settings (eg, boot) of my motherboard (asus tuf gaming b560m-plus) but didn't work.
robsonhermes
New here

Post by robsonhermes »

I opened a ticket with with QNAP Germany, as I live in Berlin. The answer was (translated to English using Google):
My name is (omitted), I will take care of your concerns and stand by you with advice and action.
I think this is normal behavior on your PC.
The TR-004 will initialize the hard drives, slowing down your POST.
There is no configuration that accelerates this process.
You can start the PC without TR-004 and connect it afterwards.
Please give me a short feedback.
Have a nice day.
apo86
New here

Post by apo86 »

Kind of a "Meh" answer, but I didn't really expect anything different. Thanks for checking with QNAP support!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”