TS-673 Chirping sounds

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
push2flush
Starting out

TS-673 Chirping sounds

Post by push2flush »

A couple of weeks ago, my TS-673 start making low amplitude chirping sounds. This happens periodically throughout the day when the NAS is at reduced activity. I initially suspected one of the drives, but drive status for all drives were good. Regardless, I purchased a new WD Red drive and began pulling and replacing drives over the course of several days. Each drive has been pulled and replaced at this point and the chirping continues. The only explanation at this point is that this is occurring to all of the drives, including the brand new drive that I just purchased, or the sound is not coming from the drive, but the NAS itself. Attached are couple or recordings of the sound. The first is taking from a few inches from the NAS and you can hear the typical low pitch hard drive sounds along with the high pitched chirping. The second is taken from across the room (approximately 8 feet) where you can no longer hear the typical hard drive sounds, just the ambient room sound and the occasional chirping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qnap TS-673
QTS 5.0.1.2277
OneCD
Guru

Re: TS-673 Chirping sounds

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Hmm, that squeak might be a fan. Have you checked all fans are working correctly? Any with worn bearings?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
seregaknorrr
Starting out

Post by seregaknorrr »

Hi. I've got ts873. With 7 hdds installed, and 1x10gb card, and 1 qm2 dual m2 card with 1 m2 drive installed. I'm starting to experience same exact high pitch chirping. Yours is a little more frequent, mine for now is with less amplitude. Also its pretty intermittent. If I reboot the qnap it may take some time before it will start doing it.. Were you able to isolate it? We have plenty of fans in this box according to resource monitor (including the one in qm2 card) so if it is the fan that makes it pretty difficult to troubleshoot.. Anyone have ideas how to pinpoint it?

update: I got it. It was the cpu fan. You can literally unplug it live as its happening and chirping would be gone, connect it again and chirping would come back. Attached is the photo. Now I need to find out where can I buy a fan like that..
Last edited by seregaknorrr on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

seregaknorrr wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 am update: I got it. It was the cpu fan. You can literally unplug it live as its happening and chirping would be gone, connect it again and chirping would come back.
Just saw your update: good find! :geek:

How old is your NAS?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
seregaknorrr
Starting out

Post by seregaknorrr »

I bought it end of February 2019. Looks like its still under warranty, but support can't replace the fan without replacing the whole qnap lol..I'm not gonna do that.. So question still stands - where do I buy this freaking fan...?
darqman
Starting out

Post by darqman »

I am having this exact same issue with my 1.5yr old TS-451+.
Any progress on finding fans?
seregaknorrr
Starting out

Post by seregaknorrr »

I got it from support. Took awhile but they finally sent me. First one they sent was completely dead, one of the wires was lose, when bent enough it comes back to life. I managed to have it in a position inside the case where it's on. They sent another one anyway as I've requested a replacement. Funny thing that first one that's still in the case is starting doing that chirping again.. Oh well. Once it gets worse I'll try the second fan..

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”