Disk compatibility with TS-853-A

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
danmarce
First post

Disk compatibility with TS-853-A

Post by danmarce »

Greetings,

I'm planning to replace the disks in my NAS fro their current configuration:

Eight 4tb disks in a RAID 6 configuration. The disks are: 7 - WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (Western Digital) and 1 - ST4000VN008-2DR166 (Segate). I do use the NAS mostly to store video, but I run some dockers on it: Transmission, Portainer (If you ever use docker, you need this), MariaDB (not using the internal mostly due customization issues) and Shoko.

My overall experience with the Red WD disks has not been really stellar, and I've replaced 4 during a few since 2016, and back then one was DOA.

Since I do have to import the disks and customs charge me a hefty import tax, I have to check for the best deal possible. So I've seen these:

"Western Digital 8TB Ultrastar DC HC320 SATA HDD - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256MB Cache, 3.5" - HUS728T8TALE6L4"

I was not able o find these on the compatibility list for my NAS, but I found them tested on TS-853DU and TS-853DU-RP here https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... d&brand=wd

So, I wonder if the disks will work with the TS-853-A?

I think I would need to replace the current disks one by one (correct me if I'm wrong), so I do wonder also if this would cause issues.
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Re: Disk compatibility with TS-853-A

Post by Ron1963 »

I am running a Ultrastar 18TB version in a TS251. Not on the list for that machine but working like a charm. I bet you will be fine if the model has been tested on another QNAP, that is the gamble I took. And yes, hotswap them one by one and let the RAID rebuild between the swaps. In the end you can expand the RAID volume. https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... y-upgrade/
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”