Ender3 [Serial USB] is not included

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
flokri
New here

Ender3 [Serial USB] is not included

Post by flokri »

Hello,
I am in the process of setting up an Octoprint server on my NAS and I have encountered a problem that has been bothering me for days...

But to start with:

My NAS is a TVS-682 and the firmware version 4.5.2.1566.

I have created an Octoprint image via container stations and it runs reliably with a printer.

Now I wanted to set up a second image for another printer (Ender3 v2) so that these two are separated. But now I have the problem that the printer is not recognized correctly in the system and I can't connect it to the container.
So I used ssh to connect to the NAS and tried a few things (what you can find on Dr. Google).

I have checked with lsusb whether the printer is recognized at all and lo and behold it is in the list with:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 012: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
is available.
However, this is unfortunately not ground to a tty*. I have no device which I can use in the container station.

So I googled again and found out that it is because of the ch341 driver. So I loaded it (from https://www.qnapclub.eu/fr/qpkg/803 as well as from other sources).
But even with the driver nothing works.
No matter if I load it with insmod ch341.ko or similar (most of the time it hangs on the command for a long time anyway).

But no matter if I play long enough it happens somehow that the module is loaded.

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep ch341
ch341                  24576  1 [permanent]
usbserial              40960  4 ch341,ark3116,aircable,pl2303
But even then (even after plug out, plug in) nothing...
Also about dmegs no meaningful information...

Has anyone already had similar problems or could even solve something like that?
Am super grateful for any help!

Thanks and LG
Flo
philippe.mande
Getting the hang of things

Re: Ender3 [Serial USB] is not included

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,

For the ch341.ko provide ... no idea, I use my own (and for some 3D printer cp210x.ko)
... normally you can have WHEN printer (in my case Ender 3 Pro) is connected a device /dev/ttyUSBxx
... so check it
... Also some time the access right by default is not correct ... so chmod 666

... I don't use containers (like docker) this add to much hidden things difficult to manage ... it's a solution (if provide as QPKG for shiftless :lol: ) but you don't really control it.
... ... I use a namespace with Ubuntu focal inside (easy to build in few minutes) ... to avoid any problems and get quick and easy update.
... but check that device is visible inside ... because by default not all device and especially device created after boot are recognized.

Last, (but I suppose you know it) don't forgot to patch the comm.py module to get access to SD_Card (specific to Ender) ... and unpatch if you used another brand with same octoprint installation.

Philippe.
New pseudo for Father_Mande (now closed) ...
QNAP TS-x53 Pro, TVS-x73, TS-x31+, TS-x28A DEAD ... and some oldest under Debian ... etc.
Asustor AS5002T ; AS1002T ... etc.
flokri
New here

Post by flokri »

Hey,

thanks for the quick reply.
What do you mean you use your own do you have a link or know a source how to build my own?
..this is exactly my problem the nas does never link the usb to a /dev/ttyACM*(as my other printer) or /dev/ttyUSB*..

with "namespace with Ubuntu focal inside" do you mean a machine via LXC (I'm not as advanced with virtualization..)

thanks in advance!

Flo
philippe.mande
Getting the hang of things

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,

NO, due to QNAP policy (support acting as independent) ... I have cancel all my work (QPKG) done before and stop providing any things ... I have move development to another NAS Brand

NO it's like LXC or Docker BUT without any hidden things and why doing simple when complexity is proposed by LXC or Docker ...

1) you can start easily with a simple chroot (Ubuntu focal or whatelse)
... to create it debootstrap is useful (provide by Entware QPKG)
... then with a simple configuration you can start chroot and add your software inside ... so library are from Ubuntu and up to date ... also you are able to understand ALL things used.

2) namespace can come in a second step (when all run fine) to isolate the chroot and secure QNAP software (isolate mount, ipc, etc.) just keep and share network with the QNAP (even it's possible to create an independent I.P. for the chroot itself.
... to manage this a unique command is needed : unshare ... also available in Entware QPKG

... I know it's limited ... but I have no time to do more ... I just walk through the forum and sometime write a message ... (perhaps an error)

Philippe.
New pseudo for Father_Mande (now closed) ...
QNAP TS-x53 Pro, TVS-x73, TS-x31+, TS-x28A DEAD ... and some oldest under Debian ... etc.
Asustor AS5002T ; AS1002T ... etc.
andypircher
New here

Post by andypircher »

Just tried installing https://www.qnapclub.eu/fr/qpkg/803
Device /dev/ttyUSB0 appeared

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”