TS-230 File system not clean.

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
rav4cas
New here

TS-230 File system not clean.

Post by rav4cas »

Only bought my TS-230 and 2 Seagate Ironwolf drives last month and twice I have had the warning file system not clean. System not shut down correctly.
I always shutdown each night from the main page and wait till it actually shows it has shutdown before i turn off the power.
Anyone know why this is happening? Is a fault with a drive or Qnap device/software?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-230 File system not clean.

Post by dolbyman »

have you tried an automatic start and shutdown to automate the process ? (see if it is still unclean then)
rav4cas
New here

Post by rav4cas »

I will give that a try. This is my very first NAS so still trying to find my way with it. Checked the drives and they are shown as healthy.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

rav4cas wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:53 am I always shutdown each night from the main page and wait till it actually shows it has shutdown before i turn off the power.
Can you clarify how you "turn off the power" after shutting down?

Isn't the device supposed to power itself off at the end of the shutdown procedure triggered from the menu? That's how my QNAP NAS works, and I never use the power button on the front panel to turn off anything, I only use it to power the unit back on. It's a different model than yours but I would expect yours to behave the same.

Basically like a PC: when you shut it down, it powers itself off at the end. There is nothing more to "turn off".
rav4cas
New here

Post by rav4cas »

I shutdown the server from the webpage on my computer and wait until it says 'server has shutdown' then I turn it off at the power socket.
The reason I turn it off at the socket is because even if the server is shut down I can still from time to time hear the disk drives whirring ocassionally.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Then it's logical that you have an unclean file system, your server didn't actually shut down (otherwise the drives would make no noise)

The system is ONLY shutdown when there is no lights or noise coming from the device
rav4cas
New here

Post by rav4cas »

The system is definitely shut down and there are no lights showing at all. But if you do not turn the power supply socket off ocassionally you can here the drives whirring, not all the time but now and then.
rav4cas
New here

Post by rav4cas »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:54 am have you tried an automatic start and shutdown to automate the process ? (see if it is still unclean then)
Tried the automatic start and shutdown. This morning had the message file system not clean.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As said ..absolutely no noise will come from a shutdown unit..and certainly none from the drives

do your regular procedure without killing the power and report

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”