TS-451 Backplane Replacement

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
dedwards180
First post

TS-451 Backplane Replacement

Post by dedwards180 »

Hello,
Our TS451 nas has a faulty SATA interface, we've lost one drive out of 4. If a drive is plugged in, it attempts to spin up the disk, and then reports and error. I've traced this down to one of the SATA controllers on the backplane having failed, the switching FETs are OK. The channel failed during some thermal testing we were doing, and the unit was running in an ambient of 35+C.

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a replacement backplane card? PS TS-451 BP1.0

Thanks
Dave
P3R
Guru

Re: TS-451 Backplane Replacement

Post by P3R »

Qnap don't sell spare parts and they will quote you a very high price for sending the NAS in and have the mainboard replaced (that is if they still even have some spare parts left for that relatively old unit).

The only way go get a spare part is on the used market, like Ebay or whatever is available to you. Your other options are to repair the backplane or to buy a new Qnap that support migrating the disks over.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Alexuk22
New here

Post by Alexuk22 »

dedwards180 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:07 pm Hello,
Our TS451 nas has a faulty SATA interface, we've lost one drive out of 4. If a drive is plugged in, it attempts to spin up the disk, and then reports and error. I've traced this down to one of the SATA controllers on the backplane having failed, the switching FETs are OK. The channel failed during some thermal testing we were doing, and the unit was running in an ambient of 35+C.

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a replacement backplane card? PS TS-451 BP1.0

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

I know this is an old post but I'm having an issue with my backplane in the ts-451+ at least I believe it is the backplane that is the point of failure!

May I ask if you found a solution for your backplane issue that didn't involve buying a new one lol?

Thanks, sir all the best

Alex
New to NAS, owner of a semi-working
QNAP TS451+ 4 Bay Desktop NAS 8gb fw - 5.0.1.2145 build 20220903
4 x WD1005FBYZ - Enterprise Drives Gold - 1 TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Please do not necropost..you will not get a reply from a one time poster from 20 months ago

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”