TVS-672XT PCIe riser

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
KBoze
Starting out

TVS-672XT PCIe riser

Post by KBoze »

Anyone tried a PCIe riser on the TVS-672XT to allow the Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card to be moved from slot1? I’d like to add a good single slot GPU to slot 1 not slot 2.

Using a TVS-672XT with an i9-9100t CPU and 6x10TB IronWolf HDD
TR-004 with x10TB IRonWolf via USB 3.2 Gen 2
QNAP: TVS-672XT
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900t
RAM: 32GB x 2 Crucial DDR4 2666MHz
HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 10TB x 6 | 7200 | Sata 6GB/s
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NMVe x 1 with Sabrent Rocket SSD heatsink
PSU: stock for now
Techthusiast
Starting out

Re: TVS-672XT PCIe riser

Post by Techthusiast »

Hello,
Please allow me to share the following:
The Hardware Specifications for TVS-672XT explain that the NAS is architecturally equipped with two PCIe slots:
  • Slot 1: PCIe Gen 3 x16 (CPU)
  • Slot 2: PCIe Gen 3 x4 (PCH)
Each NAS in the TVS-x72XT series features a Thunderbolt 3 card (equipped with dual TB3 USB Type-C ports) preinstalled into Slot 1 (which is the PCIe Gen 3 x16 (CPU) slot). My understanding is that the Thunderbolt 3 architecture requires a high-bandwidth/low-latency PCIe "CPU" slot and thus the Thunderbolt 3 card is not compatible with the TVS-x72XT's Slot 2. The TB3 card is compatible only with Slot 1 PCIe "CPU" which is where QNAP preinstalls it.

Similarly, GPGPU's (a.k.a. graphics cards/video cards) are also typically high-bandwidth/low-latency devices that require (or at least strongly prefer) a PCIe "CPU" slot. With regard to the QNAP TVS-x72XT series, my understanding is that there are certain limitations in QNAP's hardware, firmware, and/or applications such that GPGPU'S must be installed only into Slot 1 the PCIe "CPU" slot.

Thus the available options include:
  1. Utilize the TVS-x72XT with its Thunderbolt 3 card (preinstalled into Slot 1) and go without a GPGPU, or...
  2. Alternatively, remove the Thunderbolt 3 card from Slot 1 and install a GPGPU in its place (thus going without Thunderbolt 3).
  3. Then Slot 2 PCIe "PCH" is available for your choice of a PCIe Gen 3 x4 add-on, for example perhaps an add-on NIC for additional ethernet ports, an HBA card for additional SATA connections, or for a QM2 card to provide an additional two or four M.2 SSD slots...
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Techthusiast
AntonioManuel
Getting the hang of things

Post by AntonioManuel »

Hello, Perhaps is better to buy the tvs-672x and then decide which hardware we want to put on slot 1.

Can you enlight me regarding the memory slots?

In tvs-672x or XT does the memory's are used only in pair? Or can I use only one slot available?
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
Techthusiast
Starting out

Post by Techthusiast »

Hello,
I would please recommend to open a new thread for question regarding memory. This thread is specific to use of PCIe riser with TVS-x72 Series NAS.

Best regards,
Techthusiast
sialfar
First post

Post by sialfar »

Techthusiast wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:14 am Hello,
Please allow me to share the following:
The Hardware Specifications for TVS-672XT explain that the NAS is architecturally equipped with two PCIe slots:
  • Slot 1: PCIe Gen 3 x16 (CPU)
  • Slot 2: PCIe Gen 3 x4 (PCH)
Each NAS in the TVS-x72XT series features a Thunderbolt 3 card (equipped with dual TB3 USB Type-C ports) preinstalled into Slot 1 (which is the PCIe Gen 3 x16 (CPU) slot). My understanding is that the Thunderbolt 3 architecture requires a high-bandwidth/low-latency PCIe "CPU" slot and thus the Thunderbolt 3 card is not compatible with the TVS-x72XT's Slot 2. The TB3 card is compatible only with Slot 1 PCIe "CPU" which is where QNAP preinstalls it.

Similarly, GPGPU's (a.k.a. graphics cards/video cards) are also typically high-bandwidth/low-latency devices that require (or at least strongly prefer) a PCIe "CPU" slot. With regard to the QNAP TVS-x72XT series, my understanding is that there are certain limitations in QNAP's hardware, firmware, and/or applications such that GPGPU'S must be installed only into Slot 1 the PCIe "CPU" slot.

Thus the available options include:
  1. Utilize the TVS-x72XT with its Thunderbolt 3 card (preinstalled into Slot 1) and go without a GPGPU, or...
  2. Alternatively, remove the Thunderbolt 3 card from Slot 1 and install a GPGPU in its place (thus going without Thunderbolt 3).
  3. Then Slot 2 PCIe "PCH" is available for your choice of a PCIe Gen 3 x4 add-on, for example perhaps an add-on NIC for additional ethernet ports, an HBA card for additional SATA connections, or for a QM2 card to provide an additional two or four M.2 SSD slots...
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Techthusiast
Hi, would a (NVIDIA GT 1030 Graphics Card, Desktop Low Profile GPU, 2GB 64Bit GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x4) work into slot 2 being x4 and not x16?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

open slots are compatible...they would just run slower than they could otherwise

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”