Tape library attached to SAS card

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
andrew.peplinski
New here

Tape library attached to SAS card

Post by andrew.peplinski »

Hello - I was wondering if anyone is already doing this, or if it's even part of acceptable use: I was hoping to connect our Quantum tape library to a prospective new NAS (TS-H1886XU-RP-D1622-32G) via SAS card.

For context:
  • We have an existing leased Windows-based storage array, which has a SAS card in it connected to our Quantum i3 tape library. That lease has ended, and we need to return that array.
  • I am pricing out the above-mentioned NAS to serve as our Veeam backup target for VM-level backups, but I thought it would be absolutely incredible if I could take that card (or different card if it's not compatible) and put it in the NAS to connect to the tape library.
  • We would still be using Veeam to back up to tape, so even if connection is possible, I'm not sure if/how the library could be addressed within Veeam
Any data points are welcome, including "that's not possible" (but excluding "why would you do that, you're stupid" :wink: )
andrew.peplinski
New here

Re: Tape library attached to SAS card

Or perhaps the h1886xu can do PCI passthrough to a VM on Virtualization Station? That would solve it pretty easily.
andrew.peplinski
New here

Looks like it's possible as of at least Virtualization Station 3.2, and since it's up to 3.5 now I would guess that function is not only still there but improved-upon. Any confirmation would be great though :).
andrew.peplinski
New here

So I guess nobody has tried this...? Logically it seems like we could pass through a PCIe SAS card directly to a Windows VM within Virtualization Station, just install the library drivers there, then attach storage directly to the VM for the local backup target.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”