mail server

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
hondafireblade
First post

mail server

Post by hondafireblade »

Hello
is there a mail server for qnap ts-453 pro (QTS 4.5.3)?
Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: mail server

Post by dolbyman »

run any of your choice in a container or vm
trigg3r
Starting out

Post by trigg3r »

Hi dolbyman.

This is my thought and I would like to know your opinion.

It is unlikely that someone who knows how to install/configure/maintain an <app>-server in a container/VM will use a NAS.

The nature of a NAS is to be a data storage. A NAS may be preferred to a dedicated server in a low budget scenario, because:
- I can install an <app>-server with one click
- I can configure it with a ready and easy to use admin interface
- it is easy to update

Normally I prefer QNAP over other competitors, but every time I need a basic mail-server I have to buy the NAS from other brand. Right now I'm in exactly this (not rare) situation. One of my customers needs a basic mail server to manage few mailboxes. I would like to use QNAP but I have to buy an OtherFamousBrand NAS because I have no budget to install and maintain a mail-server on a VM.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

How is a container or VM more complicated than a direct app?

Anyone even thinking about exposing any part of the NAS (even a mailserver) should be very aware of what theu are doing and the consequences that it may have for all their data
trigg3r
Starting out

Post by trigg3r »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:22 pm How is a container or VM more complicated than a direct app?
At this point it is possible that I have not properly understood your first answer on this thread ... What I mean is:
  • using a container or a VM I should install, for example, Zimbra with all that follows (If I have to do this, I don't use a NAS ...)
  • if I have a "e-mail sever" app I only have to configure it (insert a domain, associate an email address of that domain for each NAS user, ... like I do with other NAS)
I'm wrong?
dolbyman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:22 pm Anyone even thinking about exposing any part of the NAS (even a mailserver) should be very aware of what theu are doing and the consequences that it may have for all their data
I totally agree with you on this point. And this is true for any app/service.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Installing a QPKG from the appstore (or manually installing it via download) and choosing an app from the docker repo, is all point and click via the QTS interface .. so not really that hard.

But a docker container that is kept up to date by whoever maintains it, vs a QNAP app that has (potentially) not been updated in years .. what is better ?
trigg3r
Starting out

Post by trigg3r »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:21 am But a docker container that is kept up to date by whoever maintains it, vs a QNAP app that has (potentially) not been updated in years .. what is better ?
An email-server app supported by QNAP would be great!! :-D ;-)

Thanks for chatting with me :-)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap has enough security issues as it is ...why do you want them to support/dev a mailserver ?

Just get a container ..or even better an external mailserver ..I have a feeling you will be better off that way
zaszkwara
Getting the hang of things

Post by zaszkwara »

Go with Plesk.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”