Can I use NIC Teaming on the TS 563?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
nintendo1889
Starting out

Can I use NIC Teaming on the TS 563?

Post by nintendo1889 »

Can I do nic teaming (LAG or LACP) with the builtin ethernet and a NIC installed in the PCI-E slot? If not, is there a switch failover?

Or is it just a placeholder for future hardware designs?
P3R
Guru

Re: Can I use NIC Teaming on the TS 563?

Post by P3R »

nintendo1889 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 am Can I do nic teaming (LAG or LACP) with the builtin ethernet and a NIC installed in the PCI-E slot?
Probably.

I can at least do NIC teaming (Qnap call it Port Trunking though) between a builtin NIC and a supported NIC in a PCIe slot on a different Qnap model. Failover, different static link aggregation modes and LACP are supported. I didn't have time to test that it worked but it could be configured and I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work as I have never had issues with it.

You already have 2 onboard NICs and you can of course use them together as well.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nintendo1889
Starting out

Re: Can I use NIC Teaming on the TS 563?

Post by nintendo1889 »

P3R wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:03 pm
nintendo1889 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 am Can I do nic teaming (LAG or LACP) with the builtin ethernet and a NIC installed in the PCI-E slot?
Probably.

I can at least do NIC teaming (Qnap call it Port Trunking though) between a builtin NIC and a supported NIC in a PCIe slot on a different Qnap model. Failover, different static link aggregation modes and LACP are supported. I didn't have time to test that it worked but it could be configured and I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work as I have never had issues with it.

You already have 2 onboard NICs and you can of course use them together as well.
I didn't even realize that our ts-563 already has two ethernet ports! It was installed by someone else. :lol:

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”