[TVS-473e] Bay 4 stopped working

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Kormyr
New here

[TVS-473e] Bay 4 stopped working

Post by Kormyr »

Hello,

Sorry I'm not sure if it is the correct place to post this.
I just bought a TVS-473e a few days ago, while I was setting it up the 4th HDD slot stopped working (HDD not detected, no green led).
I switched HDDs with another bay and the HDD is detected in the other bay.
Nothing happens when I insert any drive in this bay, which confirms the problem comes from the slot.

It seems to be a hardware failure, I already opened a ticket on the support forum but need this device working quickly.
Is there any way to fix it myself (replacing a board for example), or the only solution is to look for RMA?

Thank you.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: [TVS-473e] Bay 4 stopped working

Post by Trexx »

RMA would be what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Kormyr
New here

Post by Kormyr »

Trexx wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:20 am RMA would be what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just checked with the seller. There is no possibility for an exchange, only refund because they don't sell it anymore.
And prices from other sellers are much higher than what I bought it.
The NAS is still usable at the moment, only with 3 slots instead of 4.
I hope that there is a way QNAP could just send a new backplate.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap wont send any parts...contact them to send it in for repair
Kormyr
New here

Post by Kormyr »

dolbyman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm qnap wont send any parts...contact them to send it in for repair
I will see what they will answer in the ticket.
That's too bad if I need to send a full NAS just for a backplate issue.
I'm located in Switzerland, it can be quickly expensive depending on which country I will need to ship it to, maybe more than the backplate price...
I did not see any way to buy it as spare parts also.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

many have tried to get parts only from qnap and all of them have failed...that is sadly how it is
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

only a few days old?

just hand it back to the retailer. not worth the effort or money trying to get an RMA. Purchase another NAS, though I know what I wouldn't be buying again :lol:
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Kormyr
New here

Post by Kormyr »

Toxic17 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:30 pm only a few days old?

just hand it back to the retailer. not worth the effort or money trying to get an RMA. Purchase another NAS, though I know what I wouldn't be buying again :lol:
Yes received 5th of May, dead 8th of May (I mean, I can use 3 bays out of 4).
I did not even have the time to complete my RAID setup + transfer, fortunately my data is safe.

I have already bought many upgrades through different retailers:
- QM2 10GbE + 2x M.2 SATA
- QM2 4x M.2 NVMe
- QDA-A2AR
- Remote control
- Noctua Fans

I was also about to buy a TR-004, but will wait considering the situation :mrgreen:

I received some of it and opened some packages. It would be a mess to return everything...

I'm new to QNAP and will see if they can help before returning everything.
Maybe I was just not lucky and got the rare defective product, which can happen with any manufacturer and is totally fine, as long as a good warranty and after-sales service can back it up.
I already read here that some people were trying to get parts and it was not easily possible (if possible at all) like with some other manufacturers, but I believe in the fact a company can change. If they don't, well... Lesson learned :?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

parts you will not get, QNAP in their infinite wisdom will ask you to ship the unit for repair, which can be a lengthy process, something which is few days old is not a welcome solution.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Kormyr
New here

Post by Kormyr »

Toxic17 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:37 pm parts you will not get, QNAP in their infinite wisdom will ask you to ship the unit for repair, which can be a lengthy process, something which is few days old is not a welcome solution.
Hello,

I just wanted to update here the status, this can help others and hopefully prevent them being in the same situation.
So after a few emails and phone calls they provided 2 options, both involving sending full unit:
- Standard process: return through reseller in Switzerland
- Direct QNAP exchange by sending the unit to the Netherlands and get another one sent from Germany

Considering shipping to the Netherlands was very expensive, it was not really possible for me, so I had to go through standard process and hope I would get it exchanged.
Unfortunately as expected I received a refund from the store I bought it (with initial shipping cost deducted from the refund). So this, in addition to shipping costs I paid to send the unit back, I "lost" approximately 20CHF.
I also have plenty of QNAP accessories (~300-400USD) I that are now useless without the NAS, and I can't get them refunded.
I may be able to use some of them in other configs, like the SSD/10GbE combos, ...
But for some other like the remote, well, unless I buy the same unit it will never be used...

So for QNAP, experience was short but I learned a lot. Never again, unless they do major changes on their warranty/after sales service to be on par with their competitors.

Lesson learned for me, do not invest directly in a lot of upgrades for a new product from a new brand you try. Use the product for a few weeks before :mrgreen:

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”