How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
taymag
Getting the hang of things

How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Post by taymag »

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that someone setup a service to ping their home server every 2 minutes or 5 minutes for something for a way to see if the internet was down (then the ping company sends an email if it cant reach it).

We have had multiple issues in our warehouse district of people cutting the internet line to disable surveillance and breaking in. We have many POE and wireless cameras and also on site security that can be notified but its a large area so I would have to notify them.

Anyway, without getting into all the specifics of what cameras I have and what "could be better", whats the simplest way for me to figure out my internet is down (obviously without checking my cameras often)? Preferably notified through email or text
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Post by dolbyman »

taymag

Re: How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:02 am You can use IFTTT
e.g.
https://ifttt.com/applets/23043271-if-m ... -me-a-text
Ok, you were the one that helped me with the VPN stuff a few weeks ago (thanks again) -- Will I run into any issues with the VPN and the IFTTT?
taymag

Post by taymag »

To add to that, it looks like that is RSS feed notification, is there a way to set it so I can get an email/text notification when I am away from the network?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Basically ping your router (enable ICMP ping reply from WAN)

Create a free IFTT account and you will see the myriad of services and notifications you can setup .. the above was just an example/
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 am Basically ping your router (enable ICMP ping reply from WAN)

Create a free IFTT account and you will see the myriad of services and notifications you can setup .. the above was just an example/
Works perfect, that was way easier than the VPN fiasco lol, thanks again
taymag

Post by taymag »

One more question, is there a way to get similar alerts for IP's inside my system (to ping a specific camera with a static IP)?
taymag

Post by taymag »

taymag wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am One more question, is there a way to get similar alerts for IP's inside my system (to ping a specific camera with a static IP)?
Any ideas on this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

oh sorry, yeah unless you can combine this with one of the 3rd party suppliers apps (there is tons) you will not be able to "ping" into your own network.

I have a ITTT combined with a vendor for water ingress alarms ... works fine
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:31 am oh sorry, yeah unless you can combine this with one of the 3rd party suppliers apps (there is tons) you will not be able to "ping" into your own network.

I have a ITTT combined with a vendor for water ingress alarms ... works fine
Mind explaining a little? I was to the point of possibly buying PoE switches that would allow me to setup alerts if a port went down, and they arent cheap, I assume your solution is significantly cheaper and easier
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

most IOT devices have an app ecosystem from the vendor. ITTT includes many of those app via API and can then get status infos via that
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:11 am most IOT devices have an app ecosystem from the vendor. ITTT includes many of those app via API and can then get status infos via that
What is ITTT? Before I look into it anymore, are you able to get phone app push notifications like I do with uptimerobot? A little help would be appreciated and save me some money, I found a way to buy a specific switch to notify me, but thats going to be hundreds of dollars later, I was hoping for a simpler solution, thanks again
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

sorry meant IFTTT

what is the make and model of you cameras, do they have an app that you had to use to set them up ?

with the example of my water leak sensors .. I had to set them up with the mydlink app, then I connected IFTTT to the mydlink API and could uninstall the mydlink app from my phone, so I get alerts via email and not the stupid app on my phone
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:17 am sorry meant IFTTT

what is the make and model of you cameras, do they have an app that you had to use to set them up ?

with the example of my water leak sensors .. I had to set them up with the mydlink app, then I connected IFTTT to the mydlink API and could uninstall the mydlink app from my phone, so I get alerts via email and not the stupid app on my phone
Ahh I see, I thought "water leak" was a tech term lol, and yes I was looking at IFTTT before but its hard to figure out what I'm looking for. My cameras are mostly PoE Amcrest IP8M-2496EB -- Thanks
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I use uptimerobot for my webservers

https://uptimerobot.com/
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”