How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
taymag
Getting the hang of things

Re: How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Post by taymag »

Toxic17 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 am I use uptimerobot for my webservers

https://uptimerobot.com/
Ya, I use that for making sure my work internet is up but I am looking for a solution to tell me that a single IP camera is down
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Post by dolbyman »

Don't think they have an app .. that one might be tricky

Maybe a mix of internal checks (for the webcams) and external (for the whole system)
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I would be looking to use an Esp32 or Raspberry Pi and write some code to do this. The device would need connection via mobile network.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

taymag wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:08 am

Ya, I use that for making sure my work internet is up but I am looking for a solution to tell me that a single IP camera is down

fair enough, though thats not what the topic title says.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
taymag

Post by taymag »

Toxic17 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:02 pm
taymag wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:08 am

fair enough, though thats not what the topic title says.
Thats what I ended up using from another suggestion (its a dream, notifications every minute for my websites and home QNAP), but I just continued the thread for another topic instead of opening a new one.
taymag

Post by taymag »

spile wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 pm I would be looking to use an Esp32 or Raspberry Pi and write some code to do this. The device would need connection via mobile network.
Ya, I got those suggestions from another forum or reddit (somewhere?) but I don't know enough about it (Pi was recommended a lot) and dont want to risk doing more harm than good by copying someone's possibly flawed code off reddit that could open up another security hole
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

taymag wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm
spile wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 pm I would be looking to use an Esp32 or Raspberry Pi and write some code to do this. The device would need connection via mobile network.
Ya, I got those suggestions from another forum or reddit (somewhere?) but I don't know enough about it (Pi was recommended a lot) and dont want to risk doing more harm than good by copying someone's possibly flawed code off reddit that could open up another security hole
The RPI may be overkill for what you are trying to do which is why the esp32 at only a few pounds would be a fun project. I think your fears over security with a device that is solely within a lan is unjustified. There are good helpful communities using secure trusted libraries that can help you if you are prepared to learn.
elvisimprsntr

How can I be notified if my internet goes down? I assume there is a way to ping my QNAP every few minutes?

Post by elvisimprsntr »

taymag wrote:I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that someone setup a service to ping their home server every 2 minutes or 5 minutes for something for a way to see if the internet was down (then the ping company sends an email if it cant reach it).

We have had multiple issues in our warehouse district of people cutting the internet line to disable surveillance and breaking in. We have many POE and wireless cameras and also on site security that can be notified but its a large area so I would have to notify them.

Anyway, without getting into all the specifics of what cameras I have and what "could be better", whats the simplest way for me to figure out my internet is down (obviously without checking my cameras often)? Preferably notified through email or text
You seem to be trying to find a reactive solution. Shouldn’t you be looking to harden your service lines by running them in conduit?

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”