AL-214 vs AL-314 CPU

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
paulvt
New here

AL-214 vs AL-314 CPU

Post by paulvt »

Hi All,
I'm looking at getting a new NAS and deciding between my first x86 NAS, or sticking with an ARM unit. The TS-431K has an AL-214 CPU, and the TS-431X3 has an AL314 CPU.
The CPU specs (4-core 1.7GHz) for those two NAS's seem identical? And I'm finding it difficult to find any info on either CPU. Is there a difference? Power usage maybe?
I'm currently on a TS-419Pii - which is still going well, but looking to upgrade due to it's age.

Thanks.
P3R
Guru

Re: AL-214 vs AL-314 CPU

Post by P3R »

paulvt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:32 pm The CPU specs (4-core 1.7GHz) for those two NAS's seem identical? And I'm finding it difficult to find any info on either CPU. Is there a difference?
I can't find any references to AL-214 except from Qnap so it's hard to tell. If the Qnap specifications are correct the differences are probably very small.
Power usage maybe?
I doubt that it's noticeable.

I'd make my decision based on other metrics like price, RAM (if you intend to install apps and/or containers) and the number and type of network interfaces.
I'm currently on a TS-419Pii - which is still going well, but looking to upgrade due to it's age.
Huge upgrade in more ways than the CPU.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”