Failing hard drive

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Illya
New here

Failing hard drive

Post by Illya »

Hello.
I have a Qnap nas with 8 hard drives in a raid 5 array. One of my hard drives has been detected as faulty and so I am hoping to swap it out.
I remember when I set this raid array up I read that I would need exactly the same drives or it wouldn’t work.
I have 8 x wdc wd40efrx-68n32n082.0 4Tbyte
Question: To swap out the drive, does the whole serial number need to be identical (including the -68n32n082.0 part)? Is there any latitude in the exactness of the drives?

Note: I set this up a few years back now and am not someone who visits this often. Only now that a drive needs replacing am I revisiting this. Therefore I’m pretty much a novice.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Failing hard drive

Post by Mousetick »

You don't need to replace with the exact same drive. The bare minimum requirement is to replace with a disk of equal or greater capacity (4 TB in your case), if higher capacity the difference will be wasted. Can be different model or brand. It's highly recommended to use a model that is rated for NAS usage and is on QNAP's compatible list for your NAS model. Also recommended to use a drive with similar performance specs as the other ones in the array, as much as possible.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Failing hard drive

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i use to think that, but i mixed wd red, seagate ironwolf and hgst deskstar nas hdds together in a raid 5 before and never noticed any rebuild failure or drop outs. just make sure capacity size is the same. and do not get a SMR hdd or non raid hdd (aka desktop hdd). check the hdd compatibility list.

not many choices these days, i recommend the seagate ironwolf nas drives.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”