TS-431K soldered RAM upgrade

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Buthsecks
New here

TS-431K soldered RAM upgrade

Post by Buthsecks »

So - I ordered TS-431K a few months ago and I was absolutely positively sure that RAM is user-upgradeble. I know - It would take 10 seconds to google it and I goofed myself pretty badly: 1GB of soldered RAM in modern NAS is a joke.

According to what I found in reviews - there are two 96FBGA DDR3L chips soldered to the mainboard, 512MB each.

4GB of no-name chips in 96FBGA package are dirty cheap on Aliexpress: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001963994180.html

Is there any chance (excluding of course cheap no-name chinese chip failure) that swapping two original modules for mentioned 4GB ones would work without any issues?

I have access to hot air station and I have required skills.
elvisimprsntr

Re: TS-431K soldered RAM upgrade

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Welcome!

1. Specs state 1GB Max
2. Even if the CPU can support more RAM, you will void warranty, and not get any support from QNAP or users on this forum

Suggestion:

1. Buy a replacement NAS with the specs you think you need.
2. Sell old NAS on eBay to recoup some of your coins.
3. Repurpose old NAS as a backup to new NAS. (RAID is not a backup, RAID is resiliency!)
Buthsecks
New here

Post by Buthsecks »

Thank you for answer and effort, but what you reffering to is not what I asked about, Elvis :) My question is only: will it work?

I'm aware of loosing warranty - but I'm shocked about announcement of beeing cut of from community support due to this procedure. Do you think I should delete my account on Ikeas forum due to replacing the original black handles in Hemnes drawer with white ones?
Last edited by Buthsecks on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

doubt anyone here has ever tried it before, if you want to go through the process be our guest and report
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Put in a ticket with QNAP and ask them. Users don’t have access to the circuit board artwork, specs of the CPU, any firmware limitations, etc
Buthsecks
New here

Post by Buthsecks »

Looks like I am honored to be first guy ever who dares to check. So let it be - I'll be back :)
NiiTTrox
First post

Post by NiiTTrox »

Are you back? Because the answer would be very interesting 🤔

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”