TVS-463... well this isn't good...

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
phrozt
Starting out

TVS-463... well this isn't good...

Post by phrozt »

So it appears 2 of my drives are now failing... but somehow I'm still able to access the NAS? I can't access my files though. Can I even recover from this?

I clearly need to order drives ASAP. I currently use Seagate Constellation 4TB (128MB cache). Was wondering... IF this is recoverable, can I/should I switch to 4TB seagate barracudas with 256MB cache??
20210610 NAS disk failure.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: TVS-463... well this isn't good...

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

well you should be backing up. backing up IS YOUR RECOVERY ;_;
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

in the future plz do this....

you didn't quite explain how you configured these 3 drives. are they in raid? which? etc. hard to advise without knowing the details :'

For nas drives, for seagate i recommend getting ironwolves 4tb or higher.

If you insist on WD, there are WD PLUS (personally i don't recommend them anymore because of the smr fiasco)

But the key here is, use NAS HDDs. check the compatibility list for hdds in your qnap model page.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
phrozt
Starting out

Post by phrozt »

Sorry, this is in RAID5... and 2 of the 3 show errors (probably because I bought them all at the time time).

Things last synced 2 days ago, and just yesterday is when I noticed the NAS reporting issues.

I'm perfectly happy with Seagate drives. I believe the constellation ones I bought were on the list of compatible drives, and are meant for network storage. Can I interweave ironwolf drives w/these constellations? It looks like the Ironwolf pro version is also 128MB cache and 7200RPM.

As far as the "backup" conversation goes (which I've had quite a few times), all my super critical stuff is manually backed up from time to time in online storage accounts (onedrive, google drive, etc), and mostly what would be unrecoverable here are all of my plex related files. I do have a few other stores of data that I would hopefully not lose tho, so perhaps it is time to look into a dedicated backup company if I can recover from this. I did just a bit of searching and it seems that backblaze is a low cost solution that a lot of people use. What would you recommend?

Also... you have any recommendations for data recovery from this particular situation? I know losing 2 drives from a 3 drive RAID5 array isn't supposed to be recoverable, but there are some companies that do extreme stuff.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

A data recovery company will coat you a magnitude more than an external usb drive would have been (for local backup)

depending on the amount of data my guess would be low to mid 4 figures for recovery
phrozt
Starting out

Post by phrozt »

Has anyone been through this process? Unfortunately, I don't have 6.5 TB free anywhere for me to copy anything, much less how I access the data, because it says the folder/file does exist when I browse to them in file manager...
20210610 NAS disk failure-02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

6.5TB is nothing when you can get 12TB external USB drives for cheap these days (sadly a bit more now thanks to chia)

open a ticket with qnap ..if you ever get your data back .. start making backups
Last edited by dolbyman on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phrozt
Starting out

Post by phrozt »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:13 pm 6.5TB is nothing when you can get 12TB external USB drives for cheap these days (sadly a bit more now thanks to chia)

open a ticket with qnap ..if you ever get your data back .. start making backuos
Yep, opened up a ticket last night at the same time as I made this post. I guess I'll look into a 10-12TB external and see how quick I can get that in. I'm still not sure if/how I'll be able to read the data off it tho.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”