NAS fails in rack next to server

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
dbatoyon
New here

Post by dbatoyon »

I have a QNAP TS-432XU loaded with four 10TB Seagate IronWolf drives configured in RAID 6. I installed a Dell PowerEdge R240 server in the rack below the NAS. At some point, I noticed the drive in the first slot on the NAS had filed. The drive was still under warranty so I ordered a replacement. I swapped the drives but it did not resolve the problem. I powered down the server and the problem went way. Even the original drive worked just fine. (I didn't need the replacement drive.)

I don't have time right now to experiment with moving the NAS or the server around so I am curious what people think about it. I've been putting audio/music gear in racks for years without any issues. Perhaps there are some unwritten rules when it comes to networking/storage equipment that I do not know about. I'd appreciate any advice before I rebuild this rack.

Thanks.
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Assuming its not a thermal or EMI issue, It sounds like a power quality, power supply issue, or the power supply switching frequencies between the two systems are polluting power on each other.

Try temporarily running on separate UPSs, add chassis grounds, or line filters.
dbatoyon
New here

Re: NAS fails in rack next to server

Post by dbatoyon »

Thanks for the advice. I can't believe I forgot until I read your response but the outlet this rack is connected to has a false ground. That is probably the most salient piece of information which I'm sorry I left out.

At any rate, I ran an extension cord across the room to power just the server and I was not able to reproduce the problem. Curiously, after I returned to the original setup, I still could not reproduce the problem. Go figure.

We should be moving soon. That will give me an opportunity to make sure the electrical system is up to the task. In the meantime, I may take your advice on a separate UPS et cetera.

Thanks again.
qrusher
Know my way around

Re: NAS fails in rack next to server

Post by qrusher »

10TB Seagate IronWolf
io error disk eject
google it
check fw update seagatecom
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”