SAMSUNG 870 QVO 8TB as Secondary RAID

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
clearscreen
New here

SAMSUNG 870 QVO 8TB as Secondary RAID

Post by clearscreen »

Greetings,

i'm thinking about some disk improvement in my 431XEU.

i currently have 2 10TB RED IN RAID (sorry for the worplay :lol: )

They are pretty good, speed is 90MB/S+ and i'm ethernet agregation (LACP).

All is cool, but it's pretty hot. So i've the idea to put 2 iron wold 110 SSD 3.87 TB as primary raid because it seems that they can hold nas usage (they have also power loss protection, although i'm protected by an inverter). The two 10TB RED will go in the other bay (from 1+2 to 3+4).

But i've also the idea to do pure SSD and replace them by 2 samsung 870 QVO SSD. They are not designed to NAS usage. But as i'm protected by an inverter i do not really need PLP and the usage of the secondary RAID would be only night backup of familly computer, the core job (active sharing, system, ...) would be done by the iron wolf.

So i wanted to know if someone have some experience with such "end user" SSD installation.
I've seen a lots of bad advice about putting some "standard SSD" in a nas, but samsung disk are really good (i own several and i've never experimented some troubles). In fact i just want the SSD to work in RAID and i assume to loose a SSD in 2 or 3 years.

Many thanks for your help.
Best regards.
CLS.
A80 RC MKII Master Recorder fan
dolbyman
Guru

Re: SAMSUNG 870 QVO 8TB as Secondary RAID

Post by dolbyman »

They should work fine..just remwmber (as always) to have external backups

Maybe also get rid of that LACP if it already maxes out at 90MB/s it does mire harm than good (a single drive should max out you LAN by itself)
clearscreen
New here

Re: SAMSUNG 870 QVO 8TB as Secondary RAID

Post by clearscreen »

Greetings dolbyman ,

i've finally done my migration with success : 2x Ironwolf 4TB on primary raid and 2x QVO 8TB on secondary raid. Works like a charm.

First i've splitted raid of "old disks" (i've made a secure backup on external disk that i never used)

then i have ejected the disks, installed ironwolf ssd on bay 1+2 and made a reinstallation (on pool one)

after I've used reattachment feature to attach one of splitted raid from 2x 10tb classical disks. I've an additional pool with degraded raid and i made direct copy by restoring a snapshot. All file structure kept full integrity. So i've migrated all data plus stored extra data for future pool two

then finally i've installed the samsung qvo on bay 3+4 and migrated some remaining data.

Speed is awesome, temperature decreased a lot, fan are now nearly silent. It's not the same nas :-)

I've reinstalled lacp because lan performances with multiple acces are really improved (nas is more responsive)

Now i only need a shared calendar application i search (i do not want connected calendar but just "local user shared calendar" but it's another topic :-)

Best Regards and thanks for your help.
A80 RC MKII Master Recorder fan

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”