TVS-472XT Improper Shutdowns

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
bencolense
New here

TVS-472XT Improper Shutdowns

Post by bencolense »

Hi there

My 472XT NAS has a lot of improper shutdowns which do not seem to stop. The NAS suddenly just cuts the power and restarts.

My setup:

TVS-472XT
16 GB Memory
4x 10 TB Disks (Toshiba MG Series MG06ACA10TE) on RAID 5
1x TB addlink nvme
265gb addlink nvme

I made the following tests:

- removed all four disks and booted up - logged in and waited, then suddenly power was cut again (improper shutdown) and it restarted
- removed all NVME drives - logged in and waited, then suddenly power was cut again (improper shutdown) and it restarted
- replaced 16GB memory with the original QNAP memory - logged in and waited, then suddenly power was cut again (improper shutdown) and it restarted

I am confused. After a year of using the NAS without problems, it suddenly started to behave like that a 1.5 months ago. Out of the blue and I did not make any changes to it (no new installations, no changed settings, nothing... I just left it as it was).

I could not start it when it happened the first few times because it was stuck booting up the system. Finally, it did not even turn on. However, after taking a small break, I tried to start it up again and it worked without problems from around the end of May and I had the last improper shut down on the 30th of May... until today.

Is there a way for me to fix it myself?

Hope you can help!
bencolense

QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero MOBO Version 1.7, 8x Toshiba 18TB Enterprise, 2x NVME, 100 Magery, 100 Meditation, 100 Evaluating Intelligence, 100 Resisting Spells, 100 Swordsmanship, 100 Tactics, 100 Wrestling - 90 Str, 45 Dex, 90 Int
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-472XT Improper Shutdowns

Post by P3R »

I suspect a power supply issue but first I would try the simplest things. A new power cable in a different power outlet.

If there's still warranty on the system I would open a case with Qnap support (keep the original RAM in the system). Otherwise I would try with a new power supply.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bencolense
New here

Post by bencolense »

Thanks for your advice! I have tried a different PSU now with 350w and it worked great for 3 days! However, the problem reoccurred. QNAP support sent the following: "Looks like the un-compatible RAM Modules and the un-compatible SSD's have damaged the main board, this will need to be replaced at our RMA Center, please only use the factory fitted RAM Modules or from shop.qnap.com and Drives that are compatible from the compatibility list below. "

Is this true that addlink SSD and that Kingston memory cause motherboard damage?

At the moment the NAS is working since 8 hours without a shutdown.
bencolense

QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero MOBO Version 1.7, 8x Toshiba 18TB Enterprise, 2x NVME, 100 Magery, 100 Meditation, 100 Evaluating Intelligence, 100 Resisting Spells, 100 Swordsmanship, 100 Tactics, 100 Wrestling - 90 Str, 45 Dex, 90 Int
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP has QC issues with their x72x series ...and it's always easier and cheaper to blame it on others

just check the large thread out dealing with it
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

bencolense wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:54 pm QNAP support sent the following: "Looks like the un-compatible RAM Modules and the un-compatible SSD's have damaged the main board...
Incompatible RAM and SSDs can cause shutdowns/reboots but I'm extremely sceptical to their claim that either of them could have damaged your mainboard.

If they want you to pay anything more than the shipping to the RMA center for replacement of the main board, I recommend that you fight it. Escalate the case to a manager and ask for a technical explanation on how your RAM and SSDs is supposed to have damaged your main board. If you get that explanation, please post it here for comments and assistance from this user community.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kungfucamel
New here

Post by kungfucamel »

This just started happening to my 472XT last night and spent the good part of today trying to work out what's going on. It wasn't even booting properly and started restarting itself. Eventually I got it working and it was fine for about 6-7 hours and just rebooted itself just now. I've started a support ticket and sent off the logs but will be interested to see what the outcome of your process is.
Repet
Starting out

Post by Repet »

Both when did u buy the NAS? Month and Year.
kungfucamel
New here

Post by kungfucamel »

Repet wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:32 pm Both when did u buy the NAS? Month and Year.
I bought mine in June 2019 - it's 1 month out of warranty.
Repet
Starting out

Post by Repet »

QNAP has some Q issues with their x72x series built before 2020 plus some months…

You should apply for a rma and have it repaired or swapped
Repet
Starting out

Post by Repet »

QNAP has some Q issues with their x72x series built before 2020 plus some months…

You should apply for a rma and have it repaired or swapped
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Repet wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:15 am QNAP has some Q issues with their x72x series built before 2020 plus some months…
And the source for the information that a unit manufactured in the last few months of 2019 or later should be okay is?

Do you know of any mainboard revision numbers, serial numbers or anything that users could use to identify if they're likely to be affected by these failures?

I've seen reports from people that had their mainboards replaced under warranty in July 2020 that have now failed again. It's of course possible that they used mainboards that was a year old or more when they did the warranty repair but it's not what I would have expected.

kungfucamel
New here

Post by kungfucamel »

and mine just crapped itself this morning. Stuck on System Booting and will not start at all. Have tried removing the drives.
kungfucamel
New here

Post by kungfucamel »

I returned mine to the retailer yesterday so they could send it away for repairs. Will see what Qnap come back with. In the meantime, I purchased the TS-473A which has similar feature set (4 bays, 2 x M.2) and took less than 30mins to get it back up and running as previously. It's currently finishing off the resync of the RAID pool. Not ideal but at least it's working.
kungfucamel
New here

Post by kungfucamel »

Qnap have advised the retailer they won't accept the return as it is 45 days outside of warranty. What a joke. They've advised that I need to send to their local repairer or I can send it directly to Qnap in Taiwan and they estimate 450 USD as replacement. I don't think I will be buying or recommending a Qnap again.
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Post by sleepy_panda »

I have the TVS-672XT and recently experienced some improper shutdowns when starting virtual machines in virtualization station: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=162293 but it seems to be ok now. It seems to be okay now but I was looking for the thread regarding the quality control of this model.
TVS-672XT (8Gb)
Firmware: Version 5.0.0.1850
Seagate Iron Wolf drives (raid 5)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD (raid 1) [for system + vms]

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”