Hardware upgrades to improve Virtual Machine performance?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Hardware upgrades to improve Virtual Machine performance?

Post by sleepy_panda »

Hi :)

I’ve been using VMs on my laptop using VirtualBox and recently decided to try VMs on my TVS-672XT 8GB (but they were quite slow and unresponsive – couldn’t even watch youtube it was v.choppy).

After reading around it seems that to improve VM performance I need to:
-Install more memory (to 32GB / 64GB)
-Install x2 M.2 SSDs (RAID 1) to create storage pool for VMs
-Install a new graphics card that supports pass-through
-(maybe?) Install M.2 SSD for a caching pool (I read somewhere it should be x4 RAM)?

I have two main questions:

1) If upgraded (as above), how feasible would it be to successfully run Adobe Suite apps (excluding video editing) on my NAS using a Windows VM - or is the i3 simply too underpowered?

2) If it were feasible…
(i) Any specific brand preferences/recommendations for RAM, M.2 SSDs, Graphics Card?
(ii) Does make any diff. where the SSD cache / SSD RAID is located e.g. internal slots vs QM2 card?
TVS-672XT (8Gb)
Firmware: Version 5.0.0.1850
Seagate Iron Wolf drives (raid 5)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD (raid 1) [for system + vms]
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Re: Hardware upgrades to improve Virtual Machine performance?

Post by sleepy_panda »

Cool. I've seen people in the community and on yt installing 64GB which seem to work fine (and QNAP now posts "up to 64GB" on their website https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-672 ... s/hardware )

I'm running Seagate Iron Wolfs 12TB RAID 5 which is where I have the storage pool for the system. However, after getting some M.2 SSDs I'd like to move the system onto this - others report this is faster. I will be interested to hear how you get on. Are you running a graphics card with pass-through?

Since posting I've read about people successfully upgrading to the i7-8700t ( viewtopic.php?f=182&t=159197&p=793834&h ... i7#p793834 ) and someone who upgraded to the i9-9900k for VM gaming (viewtopic.php?f=191&t=151376&hilit=i9+vm+gaming ).

Thanks for reply and any testing you do.
TVS-672XT (8Gb)
Firmware: Version 5.0.0.1850
Seagate Iron Wolf drives (raid 5)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD (raid 1) [for system + vms]

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”