NAS dont see devices connected to usb hub.

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
adamadam222
New here

NAS dont see devices connected to usb hub.

Post by adamadam222 »

Hello I have problem. If i connct external hdd in usb port all its fine, but if I plug in there in usb hub drive is not mounted. If I write command in terminal via ssh "usbls" i see my drive. Whats is wrong?

Best regards!
OneCD
Guru

Re: NAS dont see devices connected to usb hub.

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

For as long as I can remember, QNAP NAS don't officially support devices connected though USB hubs.

I've had some success in the past with hubs, but it seems hubs are generally considered unsupported by QNAP. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

And compatibility got even worse when QNAP introduced the TR units, there must be some trickery with the USB stack/drivers/whatnot that QNAP did here
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Another fine example of QNAP fiddling with things that worked and breaking them. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
adamadam222
New here

Post by adamadam222 »

Thanks for the answers. It's a pity it looks like that.
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Post by sleepy_panda »

Bit of a late reply but I had same issue but now it's working.

I have an anker 7-port usb hub and external hdds / flash usb drive can be seen (but initially I had same issue as you). QTS wouldn’t recognise my hdds plugged into my usb hub but I noticed that my virtual machines could see the hdds.

Not sure if this will get yours recognised, but for me I did the following and they can all be seen now. Note that it didn’t work in the front USB port but does on the rear ports (I have a TVS672XT).

1) Used a Win 10 virtual machine to format the drive(s) as exFAT
2) Disconnected drive(s) (physically) and shutdown VM and closed virtualization station
3) Logged out then in to NAS and waited for connected drive screen prompt then changed permissions so relevant users could read/write to drive.
-noted that newly formatted drives are sometimes only seen by the default Admin account so if you miss/don’t see the connected drive screen prompt you could try logging into the Admin account to change the permissions – I had to do this once.
4) I then reformatted my drive(s) as ext4 using QTS storage and snapshots – after doing so I had to disconnect the drive(s) physically then reconnect them and reset the permissions.

I did the above by only connecting 1 drive at a time until each drive could be recognised, and now it works with all x4 of my 2TB drives attached at the same time using the USB hub.
TVS-672XT (8Gb)
Firmware: Version 5.0.0.1850
Seagate Iron Wolf drives (raid 5)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD (raid 1) [for system + vms]

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”