QNAP NAS TS-453D - Change of Wifi Router Issue

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
ray105
New here

QNAP NAS TS-453D - Change of Wifi Router Issue

Post by ray105 »

Hi All,

QNAP NAS modem is TS-453D.
Previous wifi router is Covr-2202, few days ago change to TP Link Deco X90.
Network Map - Modem > Deco X90 (main unit) > Switch (1st) > NAS / Switch (2nd) > PC

Since the day I changed my wifi router to Deco X90, the connection from my PC to NAS became unstable. Sometime i can access the NAS web page sometimes not, mostly i need to restart my NAS and wifi router and then i can connect, but sooner or later, it will not be able to connect again. Even with Qfinder pro, it is unable to locate or detect the NAS despite it is within the same network. Qfinder show "Cannot connect to device. Please check if the device and your computer are on the same subnet." I dont have this issue with my old wifi router.

I understand that when i change the router, all the IP address that previously set would run away and need to setup again, and i did that, even reserve a specific IP for the NAS (I did this for my old wifi router as well). But it is just weird that I could not even find the NAS in my local network.

Did I missed out something? anyone has any idea why this is happened?

Thanks in advance!
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: QNAP NAS TS-453D - Change of Wifi Router Issue

Post by dosborne »

ray105 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:13 am I understand that when i change the router, all the IP address that previously set would run away and need to setup again, and i did that, even reserve a specific IP for the NAS (I did this for my old wifi router as well). But it is just weird that I could not even find the NAS in my local network.
Probably just a difference in the way the router handles the connected hosts list.

Personally, never used QFinder as I don't see any need for it, but I also run a static IP address set in the NAS and I reserve the same IP address in the router "just in case" although the DHCP request should in theory never be issued.

So, I'd suggest either using the IP address to access the NAS or set a manual host/IP map on your local system.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
ray105
New here

Post by ray105 »

I usually using chrome and via IP to access directly to the NAS webpage, but I also cant access to the NAS. I have double check the NAS IP with the wifi router APP, and it is correct IP.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

I read some issues relating to firmware 5.0.0.x
Perhaps that is a factor?
ray105
New here

Post by ray105 »

i am not sure right now, but my firmware is 5.0.0.1932. So this version of firmware causing network issue?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Just reading the forums here in general point to a number of sporadic connection issues with a variety of the 5.0.0.x releases. The instability in general, and severe bugs with the initial releases, are why I rolled back to (or stayed on) 4.5.4.x on my units.

I'm not saying this is definitely your issue, just that there seems to still be some instability and often it is related to 5.0.0
ray105
New here

Post by ray105 »

I have already filed request with the Qnap support team and see what's their reply.

Guess i also to roll back to the old version. haiz
Lainar
New here

Post by Lainar »

ray105 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:13 am Hi All,

QNAP NAS modem is TS-453D.
Previous wifi router is Covr-2202, few days ago change to TP Link Deco X90.
Network Map - Modem > Deco X90 (main unit) > Switch (1st) > NAS / Switch (2nd) > PC

Since the day I changed my wifi router to Deco X90, the connection from my PC to NAS became unstable. Sometime i can access the NAS web page sometimes not, mostly i need to restart my NAS and wifi router and then i can connect, but sooner or later, it will not be able to connect again. Even with Qfinder pro, it is unable to locate or detect the NAS despite it is within the same network. Qfinder show "Cannot connect to device. Please check if the device and your computer are on the same subnet." I dont have this issue with my old wifi router.

I understand that when i change the router, all the IP address that previously set would run away and need to setup again, and i did that, even reserve a specific IP for the NAS (I did this for my old wifi router as well). But it is just weird that I could not even find the NAS in my local network.

Did I missed out something? anyone has any idea why this is happened?

Thanks in advance!

One thing you might want to look at because the same thing happened to me this week when i changed routers is something else is trying to or has grabbed your ip address for your NAS
I have my Nas set with a static IP from the network console on the Nas so it grabbed the ip address that I had assigned it however my router gave that same ip to another device as well. I had to give that other device a reserved IP address and all is good.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Lainar wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:31 am I have my Nas set with a static IP from the network console on the Nas so it grabbed the ip address that I had assigned it however my router gave that same ip to another device as well. I had to give that other device a reserved IP address and all is good.
Two other options for you:
1 - Use the DHCP IP reservation to reserve the IP for your NAS even though is is set statically. It prevents it being assigned to another device and acts as a fallback if you NAS resets to request a DHCP IP.

Or
2 - For devices with static IP addresses, assign addresses outside the DHCP server range. Example, use the range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254 for your DHCP server. This leaves 1 through 99 for static assignment.
ray105
New here

Post by ray105 »

Hi, I have my NAS rolled back to the previous version yesterday, and till now, no issue to login.

but it just weird that Qfinder pro still unable to locate my NAS, but it does not matter already...
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Lainar wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:31 am I have my Nas set with a static IP from the network console on the Nas so it grabbed the ip address that I had assigned it however my router gave that same ip to another device as well. I had to give that other device a reserved IP address and all is good.
1 - Use the DHCP IP reservation to reserve the IP for your NAS even though is is set statically. It prevents it being assigned to another device and acts as a fallback if you NAS resets to request a DHCP IP.

Or
2 - For devices with static IP addresses, assign addresses outside the DHCP server range. Example, use the range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254 for your DHCP server. This leaves 1 through 99 for static assignment.
the 1st option is not great for users that tend to nvram reset their routers to reconfigure from scratch (if they are unable to use a backup of their router config). Also not great if u tend to have to restart your router.

the other option, you would need to redo the same static ip if u had reinitialize your nas or even a soft reset (soft reset may wipe your networking settings, which includes the static ip you had set).

this is why i prefer the later option, because you are more likely to be restarting your router. not sure about yours, but my old routers sometimes had issues detecting the correct lan ip for the qnap, so i had to eventually restart the nas as well for it to detect correctly. this is one reason why i no longer use the dhcp reservation for my nas. i still use it for my desktop pc, for which i had found no issue doing so.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

the 1st option is not great for users that tend to nvram reset their routers to reconfigure from scratch (if they are unable to use a backup of their router config). Also not great if u tend to have to restart your router.
I disagree. First, it is a BACKUP option that should never actually be used. Second, many routers it is easy and possible to backup the nvram DHCP reserve list, in fact it is necessary in many cases to get around limits in the router. Third, how often do people fully reset and configure from scratch? Once in 5 years? If it applies to you, or the 0.00001 percent that resets their router weekly and configures from scratch, then don't do it. I'm not forcing anyone, just providing the best and easiest solution to make sure that a device is given the same IP under most situations.
the other option, you would need to redo the same static ip if u had reinitialize your nas or even a soft reset (soft reset may wipe your networking settings, which includes the static ip you
had set).
No offence, but yeah, that's the point. How do you expect any static IP to be put back automatically after a reset?

It is basic standard practice to assign a static ip to any server or server-like device. Of course if you reset the system fully, it will need to be reconfigured. That's the whole point.

The best way to cover off all possibilities is to set a static IP on the device, in this case the NAS, and to set a DHCP reservation for the same device in the DHCP server, typically your router. Either one by itself works just fine.

I fail to see the reason behind your argument. It should be pretty obvious to anyone that if you reset the configuration of a device, the current settings will be lost. Otherwise, what is the point of the reset? It is like saying "If I format my drive, the information will be erased"

[qiote]this is why i prefer the later option, because you are more likely to be restarting your router. not sure about yours, but my old routers sometimes had issues detecting the correct lan ip for the qnap, so i had to eventually restart the nas as well for it to detect correctly. this is one reason why i no longer use the dhcp reservation for my nas. i still use it for my desktop pc, for which i had found no issue doing so[/quote]
So you say don't do something as it causes problems and too much work, then you do say you do it too? The same principles apply whether it is a PC, NAS, server, printer, etc. If you reset your router, you will have to "reserve" your desktop. Personally, I couldn't care less if my desktop, laptop, tablet, phones etc had the same IP or not, but if it matters to you, then go for it. Also, routers don't "detect" the IP addresses, they read/respond to the broadcast performed by the client.

But, the OP had already indicated the issue was resolved and this is just getting argumentative as you seem to be pushing your post count, so I will discontinue.
Mumbik
New here

Post by Mumbik »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:30 pm

Or

the other option, you would need to redo the same static ip if u had reinitialize your nas or even a soft reset (soft reset may wipe your networking settings, which includes the static ip you had set).

this is why i prefer the later option, because you are more likely to be restarting your router. not sure about yours, but my old routers sometimes had issues detecting the correct lan ip for the qnap, so i had to eventually restart the nas as well for it to detect correctly. this is one reason why i no longer use the dhcp reservation for my nas. i still use it for my desktop pc, for which i had found no issue doing so.
Previously, dropping NVRAM was the easiest option for me, when I lacked knowledge and experience. But there are less radical measures you are writing about. Therefore, it is better to understand them to avoid future problems.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”