10Gbe slow transfer speeds

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Hrridly
New here

10Gbe slow transfer speeds

Post by Hrridly »

I have a TS873A & purchased a QNAP 10GbE PCIE card to install into the nas. My main concern is the fact instead of getting Gigabit speeds of 1000 or 1.1 GBs. I only manage to achieve 180 to 199MBs write transfer speeds between pc and nas it starts off at 560 then drops considerabally to 189Mbs takes about 5 Minutes to transfer a 65Gb file, funny thing is I get around 350 Read speeds. I have the 10Gbe connection connected to my PC Motherboard 10GbE port which is a Rog Maximus Z690 Extreme gaming motherboard. The Speed light on the Motherboard and the Qnap 10GBe card both show gigabit speeds and are lit green to confirm Gigabit speeds, I am using CAT6A solid copper cable shielded. If I use the connection through the Cat5e network attached I only achieve 89Mbs and would take 20 minutes to transfer a 65Gigabyte file

So what is going wrong with my file transfer speeds as I watch you tube videos of people transferring from the PC to the nas achieving 1.3Gbs transfer speed between PC & Nas.
I will maybe return my TS873A nas if A solution cannot be found as it is not performing as advertised. I have another 8 days to return my nas for a full refund should I buy the TVS872X would it perform better.

I am running a raid 1 over 2 discs. Can anyone advise is this a good transfer speed or is there something wrong. Another situation is the fact it takes forever to set up a static IP address sometimes the nas wont connect have to restart then by chance it works flawlessly then other times it simply wont connect at all so is troublesome to say the least but when it is set up working it never misses a heartbeat I have to say disappointed by the 10GbE transfer speeds especially when I went out and purchased the 10GbE pcie card for my nas disappointing can anyone shed any light or advise.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 10Gbe slow transfer speeds

Post by dolbyman »

What are the disk models ?

How is the NAS setup ? (dedicated 10GbE subnet ?) all unknown
Hrridly
New here

Post by Hrridly »

Disk Models are segate Xeos 18TB with about 16,TB available yes set up dedicated between PC & Nas, not linked connection but rather dedicated. Have you any pointers before I box this item up and ship it back.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

test your network connection first .. setup iperf and test it

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... ity-in-qts
Hrridly
New here

Post by Hrridly »

Ok Buddy. I will go and do that task and come bact with the results. Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

At least that way you know if the network is slow or the NAS storage
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hrridly writes -
I have a TS873A & purchased a QNAP 10GbE PCIE card to install into the nas.

So what is going wrong with my file transfer speeds as I watch you tube videos of people transferring from the PC to the nas achieving 1.3Gbs transfer speed between PC & Nas.
I will maybe return my TS873A nas if A solution cannot be found as it is not performing as advertised. I have another 8 days to return my nas for a full refund should I buy the TVS872X would it perform better.

I am running a raid 1 over 2 discs. Can anyone advise is this a good transfer speed or is there something wrong. Another situation is the fact it takes forever to set up a static IP address sometimes the nas wont connect have to restart then by chance it works flawlessly then other times it simply wont connect at all so is troublesome to say the least but when it is set up working it never misses a heartbeat I have to say disappointed by the 10GbE transfer speeds especially when I went out and purchased the 10GbE pcie card for my nas disappointing can anyone shed any light or advise.

Hi -
what's wrong ? It's YOU. Everyone wants to be so polite. You want 1000 MB/sec speed ? You buy EIGHT SEAGATE EXOS 7200 RPM drives - not 2, and not a in RAID 1 configuration. You can have the TVS-872X or TVS-1288X sitting there right now, and kid you continue this way, you will continue to say "I am getting crummy speeds - these QNAP Systems S#$% ! ITS YOU. Buy EIGHT matching 7200 RPM drives. Setup a single RAID 5 or RAID 6.

After you do that you assign static IP's for your 10G network. When you say "It takes forever to setup a static IP address" - no it does not.

On the QNAP, you click on Control Panel> Network & Virtual Switch> Interfaces
you find your 10G card that you installed in this list (I assume it's a QNAP card, and not some piece of junk you found on eBay for $35) - and you click on the 3 dots
to the right of this.
click on Configure, check Use Static IP address
make your IP: 192.168.2.3
make your subnet mask 255.255.255.0
make your Jumbo Frame: 9000
click APPLY

now on your PC, go to your Settings, Network, change Adapter Options, and find your 10G card in that list. This is not the port you use on your PC for the internet - this is a dedicated 10G port for this application that should be on your Z670 motherboard. click on it> Properties> IPv4> Static> set IP to 192.168.2.11, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. IF you click on Configure (I don't remember the exact menu name)> Advanced> Jumbo Packets> you change this to MTU 9000, and click OK.

now go into a RUN Window (the Microsoft logo on the lower left) and type in CMD or command
type in
ping 192.168.2.3
and you will see if your ROG motherboard is talking to the QNAP 10G port.
if it is, now get the QNAP to mount on your PC with (in the run window)
\\192.168.2.3

now you can run AJA System Test or Blackmagic Disk Speed test to see your 10G speeds, which will be around 1000 MB/sec.

if you CANNOT ping the QNAP after you make these changes -
in the Command window on your PC, type in
ipconfig
is your 10G port showing the IP address of 192.168.2.11 ? Because if it did not "take", you have to go back into the PC Network Settings, and do it all over again.
This time, after making those changes to the 10G network port on the PC, and clicking OK> OK> OK, reboot the PC,
now open a command window - and type in
ipconfig
now do you see 192.168.2.11 ?

Bob Zelin

EDIT ! -
I just saw that you were from Ireland.
I tell you what. You get those 8 drives.
I will log into your computer using www.teamviewer.com , and get all of this setup and working for you - if you get me this -

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/irish ... lsrc=aw.ds

You don't have to get this for me - until I get your system working. If I don't get you 1G speeds over your 10G network, you owe me nothing. But if I get it working, you get me a bottle of Red Breast 12 year fine Irish Whiskey.
If you are interested, you can email me at
bobzelin@icloud.com
Last edited by Bob Zelin on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Hrridly wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:06 am Disk Models are segate Xeos 18TB with about 16,TB available yes set up dedicated between PC & Nas, not linked connection but rather dedicated. Have you any pointers before I box this item up and ship it back.
is your PC and NAS setup for Jumbo frames? also if using a 10GB switch this will also need to have Jumbo frames enabled.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

While I agree with Bob that for optimal performance disks should be maxed out, I think a pair of 18TB Exos drives should give more write performance than 25MB\s sequential (on large files)

That's why I asked to troubleshoot the network first.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

this gentleman (the OP) wants 1000 MB/sec. It is not going to happen with 2 drives.
Hey - one bottle of fine Irish Whiskey, and I will make this work for him - but he did not contact me. Probably not because he won't get me the booze - but because he won't buy 8 matching 7200 RPM drives.
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”