TS-1679u-RP expansion

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Jelle9999
Starting out

TS-1679u-RP expansion

Post by Jelle9999 »

I have the above mentioned rack NAS. It's running 16x 4TB and upgraded to the biggest E3 CPU it supports and with 32GB of RAM.

Now comes the expansion. I have a bunch of hard drives, especially SAS drives are easy to come by for me, not so much SATA drives. The box does not support SAS.

I am able to get a hold of a SAS expander card. A dual-port minSASHD card, which should let me expand up to at least 8 expansions.
Question is though, would it even work?
This is a Lenovo card, but just an LSI card underneeth, at least the card I'd like to buy. Other brands like HP and Dell are also just LSI cards.

I have already expanded to dual port 10GbE network card using an HP card, which is just an Intel card under HP branding. This worked just fine, and the NAS is running teaming with 2x10GbE connection to the network.

So the big question here is, if the NAS supports the SAS expander card, and if that is supported, if I can connect something like an expansion shelf from IBM/HP. This combo does work when put into a normal computer, where Windows can see each individual drives with no issues, problem is I don't have these things at hand anymore, and will need to buy. But I'd like to hear if anyone got something like this working?

The official supported expansion cards and chassises are all EOL, which means very hard to find, and very expansive. This solution provides a more economic upgrade, somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% savings, so it is very attractive.

Officially the NAS doesn't support the 10GbE card either, but it runs just fine, and it runs anything storage on USB I can throw at it, so it doesn't seem unrealistic that the server would just accept an LSI SAS card, and whatever expansion is cabled to that.

I know I'm shooting in the dark here, not many have a setup like this, and those who do might not even be on these forums.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”