TS-209 Pro print server slows down applications

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
tigerjuju
Starting out

TS-209 Pro print server slows down applications

Post by tigerjuju »

I have a Samsung laser printer ML-1210 connected to TS-209 Pro. It works, but if the application has the printer selected, it will run very slow. For example, if I am running MS Word (2003), and the networked printer is either defaulted or selected at some point when Word was open, it slows down VERY SIGNIFICANTLY everything I do in Word (ie. changing text, etc). Some app doesn't slow down until I'm at the printing dialog. I suspect the difference is depending on how frequently the app tries to communicate to printers.

The work around I did is to make sure the default printer goes to something else (such as MS Office Image Writer), print to it to create a MDI file, then print the MDI file to the qnap print server. It will then avoid the slow down when I'm using MS office.

I have the 1.1.3 FW currently. I don't think the same problem existing before 1.1.3. I am downloading 1.1.4 and see if it makes any difference. I am just wondering if anyone else ran into similar issue.
Bjorne
Starting out

Re: TS-209 Pro print server slows down applications

Post by Bjorne »

Hi,

It seems that we have experienced a similar problem. See my post:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... ice#p16143

I got my problem in a Beta 2.0.x firmware. When going back to 1.1.5 the problem dissapeared. I interpret your slowing down of Office programs as the program is about to hang. This was at least the case for me.

Sorry can not solve your problem, just confirm that you are not alone.
/Björn
tigerjuju
Starting out

Re: TS-209 Pro print server slows down applications

Post by tigerjuju »

actually, it's not the same problem. It was a slow down for me, not a crash. And it is not limited to MS Office application, but also print from PDF Reader, IE/Firefox browser, etc.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”