OS X LION with QNAP AFP

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
celticwebs
Starting out

Re: OS X LION with QNAP AFP

Post by celticwebs »

nothing what so ever! I've had to go out and buy an external drive so that my backups continue. Even my snow leopard one isn't backing up to the NAS at the moment :(
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

celticwebs wrote:Even my snow leopard one isn't backing up to the NAS at the moment :(
Very likely because the AFP connection to the loww-performance Marvell ARM models (ie. TS-x10) does timeout. You could either disable DHX2 the hard way by modding the NAS, or give a try on the v3.5 Beta (essentially v3.4.3 with some new features) where the DHX2 Authentication Support can be disabled from the Web UI. This should allow to regain Snow Leopard (and earlier) TImeMachine support on the NAS.

Afraid, I don't know if the v3.4.4 (due to public release today) will have this option in the admin Web UI.
celticwebs
Starting out

Post by celticwebs »

I'm already running beta but can't see where to disable dx2. That's why I installed beta, where is it?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Home>> Network Services>> Apple Networking

Apple Networking
[x] Enable Apple Filing Protocol
Zone: *
[ ] DHX2 Authentication Support

The good news: This option also exists now on the v3.4.4 Build 0718T releaased today.

Just for the records: With DHX2 not enabled, OS X Lion client can not access the NAS, unless they are patched to allow DHAST128 again.
celticwebs
Starting out

Post by celticwebs »

It's a bit of a loose loose situation then :(
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

celticwebs wrote:It's a bit of a loose loose situation then :(
No, sorry. This was very clear form the beginning. We won't see netatalk 2.2 - as it's mandatory for OS X Lion TimeMachine support - before v3.5.0 Beta 4. This was made clear in the related threads a while back already. Creating a new hype discussion here does not make sense.
celticwebs
Starting out

Post by celticwebs »

I wasn't creating hype, I was just saying if I disable dx2 so my snow leopard system can access nas my lion system will loose access, but if I leave dx2 on my snow leopard system will loose access. So unfortunately my few month old ts210 is no longer any good for my needs :(

Typically when I bought it, it was a decision between qnap and Synology. It appeared qnap had higher spec hardware and synology had more polished software. I thought being software it could be quickly updated to catch up where as the hardware is pretty much not upgradeable. I've just found out that synology already have a beta with full lion support including time machine support. Kicking myself for choosing the wrong one now.

Really hope qnap prove me wrong and catch up with synology!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The selection of the authentication used by the OS X client based on the methods available on the server (which is a global thing, and not limited to a client) is done on the client - and out of control of the QNAP NAS.

Further on, it's again Apple who changed the TimeMachine AFP requirements. Here it happened some unhappy open source developers intentionally stopped the availabiity of Netatlak 2.2 to the free world, breaking all the sudden licensing agreements, and forcing the NAS veondors to participate in the development costs and efforts! Interesting enough, they have not focucssed on the makers of commercial Linux distributions like Novell, Red Hat, ... which do not provide a single screw - but are also making a lot of money with support service - and are in comettion with the NetAFP people in fact.

Complain with Apple on the removal of DHCAST128 the from the default settings on OS X Lion in the context of AFP server access.

Again, nobody is forced to use OS X Lion - neither during the early access programs (which are in first priority for software developers, system integrators, ...) - nor immediatley when it will become available in your Apple Store one day in July 2011 _without_ checking potential interoperability issues.

This is the price we all pay when using 3rd party "non-approved" devices. This problem applies to almost all NAS makers. If you despertly must operate OS X Lion when it is finally available you have to find na alternate temporary way to store your TimeMachine backups.

You might like it or not - the Windows world had similar problems some years back with AD/Kerberos and NTLMv2 came up...
Orbaspain
New here

Post by Orbaspain »

Do you Think the TimeMachine Problem will be Solved in near future ?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Sure - but I'm convinced it will take some weeks. Near enough?
Orbaspain
New here

Post by Orbaspain »

Damit werde ich leben müssen :(

A long Time, but I will wait ...

Grüße aus dem Schwarzwald
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

you could also just wait with the update to lion... although the big steve™ is disappointed by you then :mrgreen:
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
celticwebs
Starting out

Post by celticwebs »

RTM in already on app store so it's a simple case of having had a log time to get the software to work along with everybody else, the whole idea of the developer preview is to allow companies to update and test their software.

QNAP = FAIL!
Orbaspain
New here

Post by Orbaspain »

celticwebs wrote:RTM in already on app store so it's a simple case of having had a log time to get the software to work along with everybody else, the whole idea of the developer preview is to allow companies to update and test their software.

QNAP = FAIL!

Thank you !
Tom.
New here

Post by Tom. »

schumaku wrote:
This is the price we all pay when using 3rd party "non-approved" devices. This problem applies to almost all NAS makers. If you despertly must operate OS X Lion when it is finally available you have to find na alternate temporary way to store your TimeMachine backups.
I don't care what protocols or open source projects are used. I just want it to work. That's the reason I bought a NAS in the first place. A PC that I've to maintain myself would take a lot of time to configure etcetera. As a customer I don't want to get involved with al the technical issues, worth the money.
So it's not my problem they've decided to choose for an open source solutions and sell it with Time Machine support.

Looks like Synology do have Lion (and Time Machine) support in time:
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 64&t=39214

Really hope they fix it soon!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”