Report your printer that doesn't work with QNAP NAS

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
fkohari
New here

Re: Report your printer that doesn't work with QNAP NAS

Post by fkohari »

Canon MP830 not working. QNAP recognizes it but when I print nothing happens. documents get on the queue then disappear.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

HP OfficeJet G85 does not work with my TS-119 using USB cable.

No firmware upgrade available from HP....

Too bad!
ImageImageImage
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

oyvindo wrote:HP OfficeJet G85 does not work with my TS-119 using USB cable.

No firmware upgrade available from HP....

Too bad!
USB Printers are a waste of Landfill space. If you wanted a network printer, you would have been better off to buy one.
That said, I find it highly unlikely that your QNAP can't see the Printer.

Access your NAS via SSH, and type the following:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Cut&paste the output of this command back to this message thread.

If the printer is listed by this command then it should work.
Hard for us to help you without QTS Firmware Version/Build numbers, and without information on the type of PC's that you are trying to configure it on.

Have you reviewed QNAP Tutorial: How to set up a network printer via QNAP NAS?

Personally I think this entire thread, (despite over 168,000 "reads") is a complete waste of time. The majority of the responses in this pointless thread are from people that didn't configure it properly. QNAP never updates the code to support "real" (aka "network") printers, yet starts the services related to printers even if no printers are configured.

The feature, and this entire thread are both a complete waste of time. The sad truth is that this feature is based on Apple's CUPS code, which if implemented properly works very very well. QNAP unfortunately has never implemented it well, and I sincerely doubt they ever will. (Years of disappointment have left me with this cynical attitude).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Patrick - you are among the only reliable source of help and assistance we can all rely on. Always there for us - always knowledgeable, always to the point and cheerful. What happened today? Did you get out of bed on the wrong side? :lol:

I am greatful for your reply, but truthfully I wasn't expecting any - from anyone. I thought this thread was just an invitation to collect and list user experience.
I gave up on this printer long ago, but since it is such a good printer, I couldn't find myself dumping it, so I dug out an old windows PC and configured it as a network server. I spent so much time debugging the QNAP prnt server issues that I finally gave up and moved the QNAP out of the server room and into my living room so it's no longer physically near my printer. I can't reconnect easily and follow your advice - but thanks still. Maybe there are others that can It used to be a popular printer.

Keep up the good work Patrick and never let us down. What would we do without you? :wink:
Have a great Easter vacation.
See you around

Øyvind
ImageImageImage
sirdavy
Getting the hang of things

Post by sirdavy »

fbeaupre wrote:HP Laserjet 1020 with Airprint firmware or HP Laserjet 1022 firmware on MAC OSX Mavericks.

It communicates with the Mac, I can see the jobs in the queue as completed normally but nothing prints.
I have this problem too with my Laserjet 1020 (HP Laserjet 1022 drivers), TS221 QNAP NAS (4.0.7) and my Macbook OSX Mavericks. Is there a solution?

Could this help me? HP Printer Compatibility: 1000, 1005, 1020, P1005, P1006,etc
sirdavy

Post by sirdavy »

sirdavy wrote:
fbeaupre wrote:HP Laserjet 1020 with Airprint firmware or HP Laserjet 1022 firmware on MAC OSX Mavericks.

It communicates with the Mac, I can see the jobs in the queue as completed normally but nothing prints.
I have this problem too with my Laserjet 1020 (HP Laserjet 1022 drivers), TS221 QNAP NAS (4.0.7) and my Macbook OSX Mavericks. Is there a solution?

Could this help me? HP Printer Compatibility: 1000, 1005, 1020, P1005, P1006,etc
Yes, it could and it did help me. It works!

This is what to do -

1. Upgrade to 4.1.0
2. Download the package from that link above and unzip it so it's ready for use.
3. Go to you QNAP Turbo homepage
4. Then go to App Center
5. Click the "Install Manually" button on the top right hand side
6. Select the software you downloaded in step 2. and install

My printer immediately sprang into life making its recognisable warm up noises. NB I also followed the instructions here beforehand - http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?sn=3395 - chosing the 1022 drivers, as normal with the 1020.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

oyvindo wrote:Patrick - you are among the only reliable source of help and assistance we can all rely on. Always there for us - always knowledgeable, always to the point and cheerful. What happened today? Did you get out of bed on the wrong side? :lol:
Actually still as cheerful as always. I'm simply frustrated at QNAP's incompetence over this feature. I've been complaining for years, and QNAP makes no effort to fix it. Apple's CUPS system works very well when configured properly, so I am frustrated that QNAP still hasn't fixed it.
oyvindo wrote:I am greatful for your reply, but truthfully I wasn't expecting any - from anyone. I thought this thread was just an invitation to collect and list user experience.
This thread was originally QNAP soliciting information from the QNAP Community. You will not however find any posts in the long thread from QNAP, except the initial message. Sharing information with QNAP about the incredible shortcomings of their CUPS implementation is a complete waste of time, as they aren't listening. (Sorry I don't know how to be cheerful about this failure on their part - I've been waiting for years for them to fix it, and still nothing).

You would have to understand how wonderful the CUPS is when it is implemented properly, to understand my bitterness of this poorly implemented NAS feature. There is no excuse for this. CUPS works very well on non-QNAP devices. I own two very expensive Enterprise grade printers that I have to configure manually on every PC in the house simply because QNAP still hasn't implemented this feature properly.
oyvindo wrote:I gave up on this printer long ago, but since it is such a good printer, I couldn't find myself dumping it, so I dug out an old windows PC and configured it as a network server. I spent so much time debugging the QNAP prnt server issues that I finally gave up and moved the QNAP out of the server room and into my living room so it's no longer physically near my printer. I can't reconnect easily and follow your advice - but thanks still. Maybe there are others that can It used to be a popular printer.
Perhaps you understand my bitterness then. CUPS is 15 years old. (Thank-you Apple), and QNAP is 10 years old. There is no excuse for not fixing this implementation, it has been "broken" for far too long, and I am frustrated that QNAP makes no effort to fix it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
sirdavy

Post by sirdavy »

sirdavy wrote:
sirdavy wrote:

Yes, it could and it did help me. It works!

This is what to do -

1. Upgrade to 4.1.0
2. Download the package from that link above and unzip it so it's ready for use.
3. Go to you QNAP Turbo homepage
4. Then go to App Center
5. Click the "Install Manually" button on the top right hand side
6. Select the software you downloaded in step 2. and install

My printer immediately sprang into life making its recognisable warm up noises. NB I also followed the instructions here beforehand - http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?sn=3395 - chosing the 1022 drivers, as normal with the 1020.
Correction: It did work but only once and then hasn't worked since. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the qpkg, added/removed/added the printer, logged in/logged out many times but it hasn't printed again since. Starting to hate this QNAP machine.

Anyway, considering I was able to print ONCE that suggests it is possible for it to work. How can I get my HP Laserjet 1020 to print?
EHeijn
First post

Post by EHeijn »

I have a TS-212 and a Canon Isensys LBP5100 printer. Everything looks fine till you try to print: printer not conected, server not found..... Not the bit I was hoping for.
In all everything went well, I must admit, Importing DB-s, coppying and pasting websites, making virtual websites; it is a treat.
The printer not working on the network is hard for the network users, so, please, some help?
RobW
Starting out

Post by RobW »

Pantum Series (P2050) with TS-210. Fairly new printer but there are Linux drivers on their main site.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

You can keep reporting here till you are blue in your face. Contrary to the suggestion in the original post here, QNAP simply does not care about fixing CUPS in their firmware at all. Already duly noted by one of the forum's regulars and a volunteer moderators who's spend thousands of hours of his free time here.)

All complaints regarding broken printing on devices that have Linux drivers available in CUPS upstream, hplip and similar, or at least made available by the printer manufacturer, should go to QNAP directly: :arrow: http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
wilsonlim
First post

Post by wilsonlim »

Brother 1810 prints endless blank pages when connected to QNAPS. All configured correctly, bonjour activated, printer added as network printer. IS there a solution?
marc.madsen
Starting out

Post by marc.madsen »

l3066 wrote:Same problem here.
NAS: TS-412
Firmware Version: 3.4.4 Build 0718T
Printer: Epson EPL-6200L

The USB printer is being detected and showed up in the QNAP web interface (External Device -> USB Printer) with Status = Ready.

Adding the printer on both my linux and MAC laptop -- NO problem.

Problem:
When I tried to print a test page from my linux laptop, my laptop said it has been successfully printed. On the other hand, the QNAP web page under the USB printer showed the the printing event with completed.
Problem is that the actual test page was not being printed from the printer physically.

Any workaround or solution to this problem? Thanks
Completely the same issue with me. My QNAP TS-659 pro+ with newest firmware, using the newest Macbook Air with the newest drivers. Everything appears fine, but my EPSON EPL-6200L newer prints anything. Even though the NAS says print job completed. i bought the printer because it was on the compatibility list.. a fix is much needed
re05769
First post

Post by re05769 »

Success - after a little bit of difficulty.
Bottom Line: Try a different QNAP USB port (if possible)
My Hardware:
TS-870 Pro - Firmware 4.1.1 2014/11/01
Canon MP830

I just configured a new TS-x70 and connected a PIXMA Canon MP830. I plugged the printer USB cable into the upper right hand USB port on the back of the QNAP.
The printer was recognized and immediately set up by the QNAP. A "xxxxxPS2" "service name" (print queue) was created.
I set up the printer on my Win7 laptop and printed the Windows printer "test page". The print job got to the QNAP print queue but did not print.

After several attempts/changes on the laptop, I decided to move the printer's USB cable to a different port on the back of the QNAP (lower left).
A new "xxxxxPS5" "service name" (print queue) was created.
My laptop automatically changed to use the "xxxxxPS5" device and I'm now able to print successfully.
Mhstein57
New here

Post by Mhstein57 »

I am currently using the Epson Workforce 3540 Network printer and my NAS TS451- or 421 can't recogn printer?
Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated !!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”