Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 and 2TB ST2000DM001 Compatible?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
longtran
New here

Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 and 2TB ST2000DM001 Compatible?

Post by longtran »

Hi,

I just bought QNAP TS-459 Pro II and looking forward to setup with the new 3 platters 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001. Does anyone know these drives are compatible, before I go buy them?

I tried search the forum and googling and can't find the answer.
Last edited by longtran on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunta510
Starting out

Re: Seagate 3TB DM3000DM001 and 2TB DM2000DM001 Compatible?

Post by bunta510 »

same query here...
longtran
New here

Re: Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 and 2TB ST2000DM001 Compatible?

Post by longtran »

No one knows the answer???

I am thinking of returning this product and get Synology ds411 with better support and supports Seagate 3TB HDD ST3000DM001.

QNAP's Hardware Compatible list is a joke.
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Post by animaleyes76 »

They work fine in my 419P+

I should add i'm using 2 x ST3000DM001's with 2 x ST33000651AS's in a RAID 5
Last edited by animaleyes76 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daviate
Starting out

Post by Daviate »

they donøt work at all in my TS-412, bloody useless waste of money (the NAS that is, not the harddrives)
russell_whoever
New here

Post by russell_whoever »

I have been using 4 x ST2000DM001's in my TS-412 for two months and no problems.
I would suggest you just make sure you are up to date with the QNAP firmware.
Daviate
Starting out

Post by Daviate »

Daviate wrote:they donøt work at all in my TS-412, ** useless waste of money (the NAS that is, not the harddrives)

Oops forgot to mention that these are the ST3000DM001 I am talking about.. My TS412 with the latest firmware can't handle them at all, even though the compatability list says so! Very annoying..

But slap any 2TB drive in and it works very well :) i think there is something wrong in the firmware and 3TB drives
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Daviate wrote:But slap any 2TB drive in and it works very well :) i think there is something wrong in the firmware and 3TB drives
It may be a problem with the combination of your NAS and your specific disk model (very new isn't it?) but it definately isn't a general problem with 3 TB disks. That disk size have been in use for more than a year now and as long as Note 11 and 12 in the Qnap disk compatibility list are considered, they're generally as stable as any other compatible disk regardless of size.
'
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Daviate wrote:But slap any 2TB drive in and it works very well :) i think there is something wrong in the firmware and 3TB drives
Might happen the initial factory firmware in the Flash applied a wrong partition scheme when trying the first time. As you had installed a 2 TB drive to working status, and uploading a recent firmware version during this process, the firmware was updated in the meantime.

Try removing the partition table, or wipe the 3 TB disk using the manufacturer tools. Now replug the 3 TB disk to the NAS, and run over the confguratin process again.
Daviate
Starting out

Post by Daviate »

schumaku wrote:
Might happen the initial factory firmware in the Flash applied a wrong partition scheme when trying the first time. As you had installed a 2 TB drive to working status, and uploading a recent firmware version during this process, the firmware was updated in the meantime.

Try removing the partition table, or wipe the 3 TB disk using the manufacturer tools. Now replug the 3 TB disk to the NAS, and run over the confguratin process again.
Well, I have tried many times :( As I mentioned in another thread also, if I power up the NAS and then insert my 2TB drive, install the newest firmware, it works fine. I then connect to the manager and go to volume management. Here I'll see my 2TB drive and everything is great. When I insert one of my 3TB drives the NAS just becomes unresponsive, the drive I just plugged in won't show up in volume management and if I try to go to another page and back to volume management i'll just get a blank page .. As soon as I pull out the drive, my NAS will start responding again.

If I do as you suggest and power up the NAS without disks AFTER I installed the newest hardware and then start the configuration process again it will just get stuck at the formatting harddrive step. (And it's not because I am impatient, it won't move even 1% for several hours at the step where it's formatting).

I can plug the 3TB drives in to my USB dock and they work, so I don't think the drives are broken (I have 4 and they're brand new, none of them work in the NAS)

What really bothers me is that they are on the compatability list ! If they weren't I wouldn't have bought them obviously, so I really don't understand it.

edit: The 3TB drives I have are ST3000DM001
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Daviate wrote:I can plug the 3TB drives in to my USB dock and they work, so I don't think the drives are broken (I have 4 and they're brand new, none of them work in the NAS)
It's not uncommon for a delivery of new drives to be broken.

To make sure they're okay I would run the manufacturer's diagnostic software (SeaTools?) on them one at a time, preferably connected with SATA. If disks pass the long test there, the focus can be at other possibilities.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Daviate
Starting out

Post by Daviate »

P3R, while I appreciate that, there are a few problems.

First of all, the chances that ALL FOUR drives are broken on arrival just seems very very low to me, I really doubt that a company like Seagate doesn't have a quality control system put in place to prevent bad drives going out (especially 4 from the same produciton run).

Secondly, like I said, when I plug it in to my USB dock, I can see it on my computer, format it, put files on it (and it's bloody fast :D) and it works like a HDD is expected to work. It seems very odd to me, that a harddrive could be broken in such a way, that it works perfectly on one system, but crashes another.. (Again, the chance that ALL FOUR harddrives are like this are slim. If they're broken they shouldn't work at all. All four work perfectly in the USB dock and all 4 don't work at all in the NAS, it just seems like too weird an error and too much of a coincidence, I'd be more likely to believe it if it was 1 / 4 drives, but not 4 / 4)

Finally, I am stuck with a bloody iMac! So I can't plug the harddrives in on a SATA controller /cry. SeaTools for Mac doesn't exist, but I do have Bootcamp. Now since it's an iMac the only way I can connect the drives is via aforementioned USB dock, so SeaTools wont let me run SMART test. I have however, run the so called "Long generic" test, which it passed..

Am I REALLY forced to go buy a cheap motherboard+cheap processor just so I can install windows+seatools on that to plug the drives in and SMART test them? -,- I would but I am extremely incredulous about it not being the NAS firmware or HDD controller or something.. So frustrating
Crush
Been there, done that

Post by Crush »

The more plausible explanation is an incompatibility somewhere. Perhaps you could try an older firmware rather than the latest? If it was on the compatibility list that would be referencing an older version anyway (QNAP are very slow to update the list).
Chris H
QNAP TS-453Be 4x4TB Ironwolf, 8GB RAM. QM2-2S10G1T, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB
QNAP TS-873 8x3TB WD Red, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB, 16GB RAM, MSI 1050Ti.
QNAP TS-419PII (firmware 3.6.0 build 0210). 4x Seagate ST33000651AS 3TB drives. Netgear GS108Tv2 switch, VirginMedia Netgear modem/router, APC 1500VA UPS.
QNAP TS-201 - still working but retired, QNAP 419PII also retired :)
Lian-Li EX-503 with 5 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI for backups
Main PC Gigabyte, 4790k, 32GB RAM, 30TB disks, Twin Dell 27" screens
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Does it happen in any slot or just certain ones?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Daviate wrote:First of all, the chances that ALL FOUR drives are broken on arrival just seems very very low to me, I really doubt that a company like Seagate doesn't have a quality control system put in place to prevent bad drives going out (especially 4 from the same produciton run).
It is definately not uncommon for several or even all disks in a shipment to fail. The reason for this is rarely bad quality control with the manufacturer but a package being badly packed and/or terribly mishandled somewhere in the transportation chain.

Now that you suddenly present far more detailed information about what you have done to exclude the possibility of the above situation, I agree that it may not be the disks failing and at least not all of them. Remember we know nothing about your technical competence and we have no idea what you have done until you tell us exactly. I'm still not absolutely convinced (as a format and copy over USB may only use very little of the disks capabilities) but if it is extremely difficult for you to test, then I agree that it may be more fruitful to look at other things first.

I haven't looked at SeaTools lately but most disk manufacturers does also supply the test software on a bootable disk image so I don't think that Windows should be necessary. In fact such a bootable disk would be my preferred choice over installing the software in Windows.

Alternatives to buying a computer would be to talk to somebody you know. Surely you must know somebody that have a PC-compatible computer with a SATA-interface?

Even if you don't know anybody, maybe you could ask nicely at a local computer store or advertise that that you offer a few beers to somebody with the necessary equipment that can help you. If you really want to, I don't think it is as complicated as you like to make it sound.

You may not agree with my theories or my suggestions for testing may be too complicated for you to achieve but beleive it or not, I am actually trying to help you with ideas on how to troubleshoot and eventually solving the issue you see.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”