WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Re: WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Post by itsmarcos »

ichbinsnur wrote:
ichbinsnur wrote: Currently the full test with WD WINDLG runs. Quite courious what the results will be.
Ok.
Short test with WDDLG fails immediately and Full test also fails reporting bad sectors. :evil:

RMA request to reseller is made, new drive ordered.
Hope it survives till the replacement drive arrives, to prevent unnecessary RAID rebuilds.
I trust that you have a safe copy of your data.

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

itsmarcos wrote: I trust that you have a safe copy of your data.
Yes, of couse! ;)
But rebuilding all from the backup would be the last think i want to do.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

So, if you don't do a restore from the backup, you'll keep thinking? :mrgreen:
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

That drive leaves me puzzled.
I ran WDDLG for DOS full test and said it "repaired" some bad sectors.
The pending sectors count is now = again and doesn't inrease.
Read errors also seem not to increase anymore.
Renran the test and it completed without errors.
Short test still fails with tiemout.
Same if i use WDDLG 1.29 Win. Short test never completes (sticks to 90% for hours)
Full test completes without errors.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ichbinsnur wrote:That drive leaves me puzzled.
Please don't double-post. Now that you have your own thread, stick to that.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

Sorry, that was not my intention.
I will stick to This thead now -> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 47#p544956
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

can someone explain why new (well i have it for past few months) wd40efrx get stuck on rapid test at 90% ?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

onehans wrote:can someone explain why new (well i have it for past few months) wd40efrx get stuck on rapid test at 90% ?
The SMART tests are run on the disk by the disk. Therefore you should ask WD that question, not us. You can do it while you claim a warranty replacement for your faulty disk.

Disks fail and a not insignificant number of disks will fail the first months. WD Red isn't better (and most likely not worse) than other desktop and low end NAS model disks in this respect.

If you doubt the the report, test the disk outside the NAS with the WD diagnostic program in a PC.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kingnellie
Starting out

Post by kingnellie »

I have a qnap 671 nas with 4 Western Digital Red Pro 4TB NAS WD4001FFSX installed. I am starting to fill up so going to install 2 more drives into the empty bays. I am running my current setup with RAID 5. Just noticed there is Western Digital WD6002FFWX 6TB Red Pro SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 128MB hard drives available now. Would i gain anything by installing this type of hard drive or should i just stick with the same drives as I currently have in for the 2 i am adding?
Model: QNAP 671 - i5 8GB
Drives: 6 - WD Red Pro 4001FFSX 4 TB 3.5" (RAID 5 - 18.15 TB)
FW: QTS 4.3.6.0895
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kingnellie wrote:I have a qnap 671 nas with 4 Western Digital Red Pro 4TB NAS WD4001FFSX installed. I am starting to fill up so going to install 2 more drives into the empty bays. I am running my current setup with RAID 5. Just noticed there is Western Digital WD6002FFWX 6TB Red Pro SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 128MB hard drives available now. Would i gain anything by installing this type of hard drive or should i just stick with the same drives as I currently have in for the 2 i am adding?
You could install them as RAID 1 to gain 6 TB storage in a different RAID group. How that could be used depend on your configuration.

If you want them in the same RAID group that you already have, you at least two major issues:
  • A 6 disk RAID 5 isn't a recommended configuration. You should really migrate to RAID 6.
  • The additional 2 TB on the disks will be unused until you have upgraded all disks to 6 TB in size.
Also, the WD Red have only a 3-year warranty and spin at 5400 rpm while the RED Pros that you have have a 5-year warranty and spin at 7200 rpm.

kingnellie
Starting out

Post by kingnellie »

to migrate to a raid 6 do i have to dump all my data somewhere then convert to raid 6?
Model: QNAP 671 - i5 8GB
Drives: 6 - WD Red Pro 4001FFSX 4 TB 3.5" (RAID 5 - 18.15 TB)
FW: QTS 4.3.6.0895
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kingnellie wrote:to migrate to a raid 6 do i have to dump all my data somewhere then convert to raid 6?
Well you should always have a backup of all the data that matters to you on a different system. If you don't, your data is always in danger.

That said, you can normally migrate from RAID 5 to RAID 6 while retaining the data. If that's possible or not with your specific firmware and/or storage configuration is unknown to us.

This is a link to the Qnap documentation. Depending on the firmware version used, you should select something from the right column.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

kingnellie wrote:to migrate to a raid 6 do i have to dump all my data somewhere then convert to raid 6?
check here under RAID migration
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.2.1/cat2/en/ ... groups.htm
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

P3R wrote:
onehans wrote:can someone explain why new (well i have it for past few months) wd40efrx get stuck on rapid test at 90% ?
The SMART tests are run on the disk by the disk. Therefore you should ask WD that question, not us. You can do it while you claim a warranty replacement for your faulty disk.

Disks fail and a not insignificant number of disks will fail the first months. WD Red isn't better (and most likely not worse) than other desktop and low end NAS model disks in this respect.

If you doubt the the report, test the disk outside the NAS with the WD diagnostic program in a PC.
the problem with test is that it does not finish, it stays on on 90% till i stop it and im talking days no hours.
i cant believe that rapid test takes more that 4 days :shock:

well complete test takes around 3h,reports fine and do not get stuck if i ran it on demand.
now when rapid or complete test is scheduled it gets stuck always on 90%
SMART reports GOOD all the way.
could it be that some software prevents test to finish?

also some people on forum report same issue
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

onehans wrote:the problem with test is that it does not finish, it stays on on 90% till i stop it and im talking days no hours.
Yes we know, you told us that in your previous post here.
i cant believe that rapid test takes more that 4 days
Of course it doesn't. It should finish in a few minutes.
could it be that some software prevents test to finish?
I repeat, the test is run on the disk by the disk. The NAS only reports the result.

The first important information to know is if multiple disks are affected or only a few...

If you suspect a NAS bug it would probably be a good idea to reveal what NAS model and exactly what firmware and build date is used so that others could check and see if they can reproduce your issue.

I did also in my previous post explain how you could test the disk in an alternative way that totally exclude the Qnap:
P3R wrote:If you doubt the the report, test the disk outside the NAS with the WD diagnostic program in a PC.
onehans wrote:also some people on forum report same issue
Then ask them how they resolved the issue.

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”